CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Jesse Lunin-Pack

Profile:
Lifting Shoes

So, I did an olympic lifting class this weekend. It was great, and I learned a whole lot about where my technique is lacking. Which is different than saying I've improved my technique - it's still a big work in progress!

The coach really suggested lifting shoes as a way to help with the range of motion and stability while lifting. What he said made sense to me, and I can afford the shoes, so I would like to buy a pair.

The question is, which ones? This particular coach downplayed the Reebok / CrossFit Olys as not really being a lifting shoe, as the heel is not high enough. He suggested the VS Athletics lifting shoe. My box owner, on the other hand, points out that the VS shoe (and the Nike, Pendalay, etc.) is only good for lifting. I'd likely need to change shoes back to a sub-optimal shoe for WODs that include anything other than lifts.

My usual workouts are structured as 1/2 hour of strength (either squatting, deadlifting, pressing, or oly lifts, depending on the day), followed by a WOD ranging from 8 - 20 minutes or so. I usually go 4 to 5 days a week.

Any suggestions? Do people like the Reebok shoe? Can it be used for WODs? Or should I go with a more traditional lifting shoe?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Lifting Shoes

I like the Reebok shoe, which are designed by my buddy Josh Everett. Not every Olympic lift likes a high heel and the higher heels are not ideal for Crossfit WODs. Josh used to do the Crossfit WODs in his Adidas weightlifting shoes and it really didn't work out well. The shoes got trashed and it's a mother to run in those suckers. The Reebok shoe is an excellent middle ground - much better to do the O-lifts in than Chuck or Sambas or Vibrams and better to run/jump/pullup etc. than competition-style weightlifting shoes.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Luke Conner

Profile:

I personally like the Reebok shoes because of their versatility. I would use them for things I would never do in my other lifting shoes. As far as strictly lifting, they all get the job done.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
John C Corona

Profile:

The customizable Reeboks would be the reason Id get them...and I didnt really think people were running in the Reebok Oly's, really? Otw, most wods are not near max loads, and putting my sneakers back on for wods is no big deal for me (Pendlays), just a few warm up lifts to readjust.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Unless someone is an Oly all-star and trains exclusively in that discipline, the Reebok Oly shoe should be the crossfitters shoe of choice.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Mike Hollister

Profile:

yeah, I like the Reeboks. I could afford to get what I wanted and I may try the Nikes next time, but I see no need to change.

That said, I really like the new Nano 2.0s. Could be my semi-wide foot but they are by far the most comfortable and stable shoe I've worn for crossfit. Much better than my previous favorite, the NB MX20. I could do conditioning-style Oly lifting in these just fine.