CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Do you guys wear socks with shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pen View Post
One word - fungus.
Nope. I seldom wear the same shoe 2 days in a row. I have about 50 pairs, no need to wear them when their are wet.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dabate View Post
Nice info guys, thanks. When running in a shoe like this, are you guys on toes the whole time, or are you more at mid foot?
I'm a little more mid foot than toes. Infact I'm more heel strike than toes. I go the other way all together. lol
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I think mid foot is where you want to be. Land on mid to slightly fore foot and let your heel just barely "kiss" the ground after impact. I tend to only be fully up on toes where my heel never impacts if I'm trying to run really fast for shorter distances.

Also most of the "barefoot" shoe liners are made with a sockless foot in mind. Whether or not you're comfortable with no socks is up to you. I always wear socks because I'm a sweater and I don't want my shoes to smell awful all the time.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Clint Harris

Profile:

"all of the above" to wearing or not wearing socks. I do both. I go no socks more often than not (running, to work, out and about, working out, even golf) but at certain times I'll wear socks (rope climb, cold, shins beat up, just a change, sweat management etc).
You'll figure it out. But like others said, going no socks has some scent disadvantages - you have to stay on top of the cleanliness of them because it seems like they're fine for a few weeks, and then they can get pretty rank pretty fast.
I have multiple pairs and do not mix my "normal" shoes with my "workout" shoes with the latter pair living in the garage.

I have a number of pairs 2xMT10, 1xMR0, 1xNB734, 1xKinvara, 1xGolf, 1xMerrel, 1xVibram and perhaps some others I'm forgetting. I have one MT10 and the 734 I mainly wear to work and out-and-about, then rest are for running or working out in. The Merrel I'll wear for golf when it's hot and dry (because cold wet feet sucks, and the golf shoes are too hot) and the vibrams I hardly ever wear now - usually when I go for an afternoon walk or something.

As for running on mid-foot and toes and such. Well, I don't bang my heel into the ground if that's what you're asking (I don't believe I ever did), but I also don't dwell on the semantics of it all. I just run. When I first got vibrams I was busy trying to land and pronate etc exactly how I thought it should be done - really micro manage the situation - but that lasted about a month and was getting ridiculous, so I just started to ... well .... run.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dabate View Post
I just picked up some New balance Vibram Minimus Zero Trail shoes, these thing are very breathable. Do you guys wear socks with a shoe like this?
The smell man.... if you don't mind the smell and can wash your feet shortly after.. then have at it.. just wash them once in a while
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
Adam Molnar

Profile:

I have the NB MX20 and MT310 and I always wear socks, to avoid bad smell and the socks can soke up some of the sweat aswell, so I don't have that slippery feeling.

About stroke: i try to run on toes when warming up, but when I am actually running, I realized that I am naturally a mid foot striker.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
John C Corona

Profile:

You all who go sockless are crazy...I did not know you existed.

To combat the odor, I have been placing fabric softeners in my oly shoes, along with febreeze spray. Chris Odell from Datsusara mentioned "cedar chips in a sock" for his mma gloves, to absorb moisture and avoid stink. FYI.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Ok, here is what I don't understand....

Rather you wear socks or not, your feet get wet with sweat. That leads to your socks getting wet also. Therefore the inside of your shoes get wet no matter what. So how is it any different if you do or don't wear socks?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Ok, here is what I don't understand....

Rather you wear socks or not, your feet get wet with sweat. That leads to your socks getting wet also. Therefore the inside of your shoes get wet no matter what. So how is it any different if you do or don't wear socks?
Without socks, it 'seems': odor is increased, blisters are increased, comfort is decreased, slipperyness is increased.

But I am merely guessing, cause I've worn socks since 2 years old (besides the garage kept shoes worn for mowing the lawn only).