CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Just got 2 pairs of FringeSports rings in to review...

...anything you guys want me to think about while I do so?

I've got a set of the synthetic rings (gymnastics-sized) and wood rings (oversized).

I'm thinking I'd like to measure the length of various people's hands and really try to get an idea of where the cut off from FIG to oversized is regarding the false grip.

As well, one of my friends is a pretty big guy 6'+ 270ish so I'll ask for his input on them. He's strong enough to ring dips and I'm sure we can at least play with muscle-up variants.

I've gotten permission to test them out in the gym I work out at but I might see about shooting some footage at the gym and monkey bars at CSUS. Mainly I want to hang them as high as possible.

I might even try the front uprise muscle-ups done by Paoli. Not sure about trying those on synthetic rings.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: Just got 2 pairs of FringeSports rings in to review...

See what you think with and without chalk on both..

I have the synthetic ones, and i wish I had gone wood...

If I had to do all over I would go wood....

Also maybe if you feel spunky and your one of those guys who will tape rings, tell me your thoughts on taping the synthetic one, and how you would go about doing it (pictures and video!!)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

We have chalk so can do.

Taping rings? Yeah, that sounds pretty heretical but I'll give it a try. I've generally only done so on metal rings, Tyler's elite rings (after the texture wore off) and homemade PVC rings (gotta).

I don't think you have to use any special trick when taping the rings. Just tape them and be very prudent about smoothing out all the wrinkles to the texture.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

This is not the review, barely the first impressions.

Played around a bit with them in during rest periods of Back Squat doubles. Wanted to be efficient since I knew once I was done squatting I'd want to GTFO and get something to eat (it was a hard choice between mega cheeseburger(s) or carnitas super burrito [which won]).

I used the "OneFitWonder" straps. 6' straps that are one size.

Pretty neat. Hanging them off the pullup bar meant I would almost have to do a standing muscle-up to get to support (I'm short 5'1") but there was a box to get up. They would hang lower if used off a squat/power cage.

The Oversized Wood rings do feel better in the hand during a ring support than the plastic/synthetic rings. They just feel more solid and better in the palm. I think this is the main reason, the oversized ones are preferred. My friend commented that the new wood rings feel better than the gym rings that were bought during the summer (I'm thinking use as they are the same size, different manufacturer).

During an inverted hang, there isn't much difference. You'll notice the difference of width but it makes little difference during a skin the cat.

Didn't try much other than a L-hang with them in hang because of clearance issues. I'll hang them up from high to compare the difference of doing muscle-ups in false grip and kipping muscle-ups from a swing later (tomorrow?).

My friend at the gym has fingers about a digit longer than mine so I'll recruit him to compare the false grip in. He was busy in the gym cleaning. I had my wrists wrapped and didn't feel like taking them off during sets of BS doubles.

They are probably 75-85% healthy now but I'm not sure what they are going to feel like hanging from a false grip and swinging on. Not a problem just hanging with a normal opposed grip. We'll see.

Till next time.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Update. Not quite finished, should be tomorrow.

My wrists are better but false grip hurts quite a bit to just hang, much less hang with straight arms. I can do all kinds of assisted MU in false grip but not from a dead hang, even with the arms bent. It doesn't help I haven't really worked any muscle ups since August.

I did try this though:

Swinging on plastic/synthetic blue rings without chalk: Ehh, it's ok. I did feel like my grip was slipping. It was slightly better with chalk and after I taped them it was OH, so much better. Incredible. I've never taped synthetic rings because the notion was just odd to me but man it totally felt secure. Chalk+tape was great. I'm sure the tape would have to be replaced in time but that's a small price to pay.

Thing is none of the plastic rings on the workout are oversized I think. The metal ones from Rogue could stand to use the tape but I've never been a fan of metal rings because they are annoying as hell when they clunk you.

I tried some of Paoli's front uprise MU drills and with a big swing I didn't have to worry about peeling at all. That is with the plastic taped rings.

I still find the oversized rings slightly odd to swing with. With chalk, it did help to hold on but as I was finding them odd to swing with I didn't try the same drills.

Support on the oversized wood rings does feel nicer though. For levers and pullups, it doesn't really matter nor for presses to handstand.

I hope to get some pictures and videos tomorrow.

Unfortunately I left the rings out in the gym one day and it appears that the owner's dog started to chew and gnaw on one of the wood rings. It should be salvageable with some sandpaper but dammit. My fault for leaving them in the gym and not thinking about Bootsie. Dammit.

Should be fine once I sand it and tape it. He didn't go to deep but it does look more scruffed up than all the rings currently hanging in the gym (because they tend to get hung up high for pullups and don't slide the buckles up so the metal grates on the wood).