CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Infinity Rig DIY GHD Attachment

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share these homemade GHD designs that attach to the Rogue Infinity Rig series. The threaded pipe one was first, but it ended up costing about $80-$90 with all pipe and fittings, so I took another stab at it with PVC and it came out quite nice for closer to $20. Cotterless pins keep the pipes from sliding around.

I'm quite surprised Rogue hasn't added this kind of attachment to their rig add-on repertoire, though I suppose it doesn't have all of the adjustability and padding that a true GHD machine does. I use it mostly for floor GHR anyway, but a 24" plyo box with an ab mat works decently for GHD sit-ups and back extensions. It takes a couple minutes to set up of course, but with the PVC version you can just slide the pieces out and leave the rig attachment on if it doesn't get in the way.

Feedback welcome!

*** special thanks to my gf Leslie who helped me brainstorm the second design ***
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	6336
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	9668  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	5283
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	9669  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	6346
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	9670  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Robert Abitia

Profile:
Re: Infinity Rig DIY GHD Attachment

Nice design.

Like always I look at photos first (right-brain) and I sat there going... "Why doesn't this guy take the Ab Mats and put them on the plyo-box sitting over there???"

Then I read your post.

Good stuff. I might make one up for my garage!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
William Henniger

Profile:

We have always tried to keep from putting things around the base of the rig just in case someone falls they would not hit the object below.

That being said I like what you did, can I post your picture on our facebook page to see what people think?

Great work, nothing better than to see the DIY ingenuity on this board

Bill
Old 08-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Have at it Bill, I would be honored! Yeah I've already almost tripped on it a couple times lol. But the way you could probably do it with a pair of long 5/8" pins could probably be a quick attach/release.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Nice! I would love to see Rogue come up with a quick install/remove and east to store version of one of these.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Larry Wickstrom

Profile:

yeah - cool idea! think i might try something similar, but mount on back side of my matador dip bar so it becomes dual purpose & will be easy to add/remove to/from rig..
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Stefan Dirghalli

Profile:

Great design. I've been toying with how to set this up for a while. I went to far as to draft up a schematic on Google's Sketch-Up and emailed it to Rogue. My thought was to use steel, and although I've got some welding experience I just don't have the scraps lying around to make multiple mock-ups. Any chance you can post the basic specs and another pic of how the pins hold the PVC in place? Thanks again, a GHD is just one of those things that I just don't have the $/space for in my garage and I'm sick of jamming my feet under my tool chest and sitting on and exercise ball...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Greg Light

Profile:

One thing you could do to avoid having to use the cotter pins would be to use a small diameter pipe go all the way though (like you have it now), buy some end caps for each side of the pipe, and then get a larger diameter pipe that would slide over the smaller diameter pipe on each side with the end cap holding it snugly in place. The larger diameter pipe would therefore act like a space so that the smaller diameter pipe wouldnt slide around since it would held in place by the end caps.

Just an idea since the cotter pins are probably more expensive than PVC.

This explanation makes sense in my head, but if it didnt translate well to this post let me know and I can sketch it out and upload a pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Hey all,

Just thought I'd share these homemade GHD designs that attach to the Rogue Infinity Rig series. The threaded pipe one was first, but it ended up costing about $80-$90 with all pipe and fittings, so I took another stab at it with PVC and it came out quite nice for closer to $20. Cotterless pins keep the pipes from sliding around.

I'm quite surprised Rogue hasn't added this kind of attachment to their rig add-on repertoire, though I suppose it doesn't have all of the adjustability and padding that a true GHD machine does. I use it mostly for floor GHR anyway, but a 24" plyo box with an ab mat works decently for GHD sit-ups and back extensions. It takes a couple minutes to set up of course, but with the PVC version you can just slide the pieces out and leave the rig attachment on if it doesn't get in the way.

Feedback welcome!

*** special thanks to my gf Leslie who helped me brainstorm the second design ***
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Dirghalli View Post
Great design. I've been toying with how to set this up for a while. I went to far as to draft up a schematic on Google's Sketch-Up and emailed it to Rogue. My thought was to use steel, and although I've got some welding experience I just don't have the scraps lying around to make multiple mock-ups. Any chance you can post the basic specs and another pic of how the pins hold the PVC in place? Thanks again, a GHD is just one of those things that I just don't have the $/space for in my garage and I'm sick of jamming my feet under my tool chest and sitting on and exercise ball...
Kinda busy so gonna give rough dimensions/specs:
2x 2"x10"x12" cut lumber pieces, 2" hole bored (w/ forstner bit) about 1.5" from edge, set apart "my long ankle diameter" plus ~1/2" (4-5" apart on center?).

Basically measured everything out approximately and tried to keep it symmetrical. The really important measurement is the distance between the bolt hole centers, because if you mess that up even a little bit the second bolt won't line up across the rig upright. The good news is the upright holes are, as advertised, exactly 1" apart from each other, so just count the number of holes apart and you're set.

Also when you bore the 2" holes for the PVC, use the first piece as a guide for the second to make sure those holes line up.

The pins keep the PVC from sliding by inserting across the diameter of the PVC just inside of the wood pieces. You can barely see one poking out across the top in the first pic. There would be 4 in total but I only bought two on accident, which was sort of a blessing because I realized a better way (see below).

In retrospect, I think I could have made it a bit more compact by using 2x8 and just offsetting the bolt holes to the left more (off center). Still would be plenty strong and wouldn't get in the way as much. Might even be able to get away with 2x6 if everything is lined up really tight, but maybe not as structurally strong. People also use the extra material as a foot hold to get on the pull-up bar, which seems to work ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
One thing you could do to avoid having to use the cotter pins would be to use a small diameter pipe go all the way though (like you have it now), buy some end caps for each side of the pipe, and then get a larger diameter pipe that would slide over the smaller diameter pipe on each side with the end cap holding it snugly in place. The larger diameter pipe would therefore act like a space so that the smaller diameter pipe wouldnt slide around since it would held in place by the end caps.

Just an idea since the cotter pins are probably more expensive than PVC.

This explanation makes sense in my head, but if it didnt translate well to this post let me know and I can sketch it out and upload a pic...
I see what you're saying. Good idea. Yeah the cotterless hitch pins were definitely the most expensive part, I think about $4 each. After using it though I think keeping it from sliding out is such a minor concern, unless you have someone flailing about repping out GHD sit-ups the pipe is not going to slide much if at all, and when it does you can just quickly slap it back to center. It is good to have a fail safe though for child/adult proofing . I would also add pipe insulation around it to make it a little more comfortable, which with an end cap would also keep it from sliding, and wouldn't need the pins anymore (saves $16!).
Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Stefan Dirghalli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Kinda busy so gonna give rough dimensions/specs:
People also use the extra material as a foot hold to get on the pull-up bar, which seems to work ok.

...I would also add pipe insulation around it to make it a little more comfortable, which with an end cap would also keep it from sliding, and wouldn't need the pins anymore (saves $16!).
Mauricio, thanks for the details. I think I can make it work with 2x8. What did you mean when you said that people use the extra material as a foot hold to get on the pull-up bar? Also I'm guessing that if you add some pipe insulation that you would have to adjust your "ankle" diameter?

Thanks again!