CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: Burn Bodyfat to single digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddon Wilson View Post
I'd like to jump in here. I'm a career fireman and I've been doing Crossfit for almost 4 years. Some years are better than others. Sometimes sleep, balanced meals and time to workout is hard to come by. I'm 38, 5'9" and 181#. (Simple BMI charts put me at 26% BF and I'm considered overweight)I've lost 15 pounds thru the efforts of Crossfit and cleaner eating. I'm definately stronger and leaner but I want to move to the next level.

When it comes to eating I'm mostly Zone and I've been studying Paleo and hoping to cross over to a Paleo lifestyle with Zone proportions. I've got a little navel fat left and just a tiny bit of love handles left. Due to my job and enviornment I'm sure that some if it is due to cortisol, I accept that. So my next goal is more lean muscle mass.

Go heavier! That's what I keep hearing. When? Off days? Before or after the WOD? During the WOD? I'm afraid to go too heavy during a RFT or AMRAP cause I don't want to sacrifice form and suffer injury. Also, can you re-explain the physiology between Heavier lifts and loss of body fat. That might help the original author.

Crossfit is great and I've seen many of the benefits. I just need the help to take it to the next level. Thanks again.
Well there are certainly many ways to skin a cat and crossfit is one way. I however like a more focused approach at times. Meaning figure out what your goals are an focus on acheiving those goals.

With that in mind perhaps working mainsite is not the best way to accomplish your goal. Maybe for a time period you can switch to something a little more condusive to mass gains. You have a couple good suggestions in lifting heavy prior to your metcon or following a starting strength program along with copius amounts of protein, Crossfit football or even more of a traditional bodybuilding program dare I say. I dont mean spending your time doing leg curls but upping the volume in sets and reps along with diet will help pack on some muscle mass. I'm not suggesting any of these are ideal for you but they are options.

You can increase muscle and burn fat its possible but its more work and requires more effort than most are willing to put into it thats why most people would agree you build mass then you burn fat, eat and lift heavy weights to put on mass then adjust your diet and your training and burn some of the butter.

Crossfit is a general fitness program, you have goals so work towards the goals.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Joseph View Post
So I am on my 5th week of crossfit I do it full time and am obsessed. Recently Ive really started to tighten up diet increase water feeling awesome strength. Im 6 foot 185 LBs and if i had to guess around 16% bodyfat. Im trying to get down between 8-10% i know how bodybuilder diets are structured for onstage but trying to get some opinions on best way to do it with crossfit program. Does anyone recommend attempting the leangains method? also maybe the leangains method on my off days? Right now my daily routine is 8 Am half a scoop syntha whey with water then sauteed Kale with 2 whole eggs and half cup oatmeal and multivitamin then at 10 30 syntha protein with water then crossfit at 12 post workout isopure shake plus coconut water. then 1 serving tuna fish half a cup sweet potato half a cup broccoli then i do 2 more meals that are either chicken or salmon with broccoli and sweet potato spaced out about 2 and half hours.. saturday sunday im pretty much without the discipline but def dont do junk food or sugars. I have all the time in the world and discipline. I want to become a lean mean machine any help would be awesome.
I can do about 6 strict pullups i use 135 lbs on German volume for bench and squats. Just really trying to get rid of love handles navel fat and lower pectoral fat.

thanks in advance
I skipped most responses. You should eat more and get stronger.

MF
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
Nani Joseph

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I skipped most responses. You should eat more and get stronger.

MF
My real goal is to drop bodyfat get my composition low. Im going for the triathlon build not the football player im also trying to lighten the load for surfing, paddle out with ease and not stop paddling to stay in the line up.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
My real goal is to drop bodyfat get my composition low. Im going for the triathlon build not the football player im also trying to lighten the load for surfing, paddle out with ease and not stop paddling to stay in the line up.
I love (hate) when people try to tell you what your goals should be rather than try to help you reach your goals. If you're happy with your current strength levels, the best way to lean down is to eat clean and keep up the conditioning work. Just be sure to eat enough to support your activity level.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I love (hate) when people try to tell you what your goals should be rather than try to help you reach your goals. If you're happy with your current strength levels, the best way to lean down is to eat clean and keep up the conditioning work. Just be sure to eat enough to support your activity level.
This x2. Nowdays I would even be scared to start a thread asking how to lean out, as I'd probably be told that an adult male ought to weight 200 if he's above 5'7".
Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
If thats your goal then work towards it. Leaning out will consist of being in a calorie deficit. If you want to make it a science, take the body builders approach. Figure out maintenance cals, and create a 10% deficit.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
If this is the build you're going for, then why not train like a triathlete? I'm sure they have some workout templates or some other on the interweb.

Here's a start: Beginner Triathlete (WFS)
Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Justin Andzel

Profile:

Try getting your protein from less powders and more whole foods, up the fat, keep the carbs to pwo time, and keep working hard. You will see results...