CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #31
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Wade View Post
Im currently on the overweight program for the army and decided to start doing crossfit. Once on this program I had to go see a nutritionist. Basically he told me it was ok for me to eat out and to drink cokes. But instead of getting a double cheeseburger I should get a single. And instead of DP I should get a diet DP.
Calorie deficit = weight loss, even if nothing else changes. For most people, nothing else is going to change.

Katherine
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #32
James A Wade

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Calorie deficit = weight loss, even if nothing else changes. For most people, nothing else is going to change.

Katherine
I understand that but it seems like a temporary solution. As a nutritionist you should try and help people to enjoy healthier foods. Not to just reduce calories but still eat bad food.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #33
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Wade View Post
I understand that but it seems like a temporary solution. As a nutritionist you should try and help people to enjoy healthier foods. Not to just reduce calories but still eat bad food.
In this case, it sounds like his mandate is to get the weight off. I suspect experience has taught him the most effective way to do that.

Katherine
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #34
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
In this case, it sounds like his mandate is to get the weight off. I suspect experience has taught him the most effective way to do that.

Katherine
Or he just realizes that most people don't listen to what he says if he tells them the truth. If he told them to completely stop drinking anything that had any calories, and stop eating out ever, and stop eating any processed food then most overweight people would walk out of there and straight into a McDonalds to cope with the stress of being told to change their life.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #35
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I was going to say that the guy's advice was focused on telling someone something they might try. Most people don't care about diet and that, so you have to tell them things that are easy for them to do. I.e. if you are a doctor and your patient doesn't want to stop smoking, maybe you should not spend 15 out of your 20 mins with them talking about smoking intervention. Look at what they will likely do and are willing to do and encourage that as some change is better than none.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #36
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I was going to say that the guy's advice was focused on telling someone something they might try. Most people don't care about diet and that, so you have to tell them things that are easy for them to do. I.e. if you are a doctor and your patient doesn't want to stop smoking, maybe you should not spend 15 out of your 20 mins with them talking about smoking intervention. Look at what they will likely do and are willing to do and encourage that as some change is better than none.
I think perhaps that is my nutrition teacher's approach. Today she extolled the virtues of Frosted Flakes - because they are enriched and fortified. But she condemned licorice and sugary soda pop, so I guess she's aiming it at a class mostly composed of freshman and sophomores, figuring if they eat Frosted Flakes rather than licorice, they're better off for whatever reason.

I have to say, I am learning a lot in the class - the sections on how digestion actually works and what all the various enzymes do and where they are and how they interact with each other - this helps me understand everything better. It's more the practical advice I have issues with.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #37
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

If you don't work in healthcare yet, you will soon learn you have to pick your battles with people. Maybe at an affiliate people care about what goes in the gullet, but most people simply don't.