CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #31
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Wade View Post
Im currently on the overweight program for the army and decided to start doing crossfit. Once on this program I had to go see a nutritionist. Basically he told me it was ok for me to eat out and to drink cokes. But instead of getting a double cheeseburger I should get a single. And instead of DP I should get a diet DP.
Calorie deficit = weight loss, even if nothing else changes. For most people, nothing else is going to change.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #32
James A Wade
Member James A Wade is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: El Paso  TX
Posts: 49
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Calorie deficit = weight loss, even if nothing else changes. For most people, nothing else is going to change.

Katherine
I understand that but it seems like a temporary solution. As a nutritionist you should try and help people to enjoy healthier foods. Not to just reduce calories but still eat bad food.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #33
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Wade View Post
I understand that but it seems like a temporary solution. As a nutritionist you should try and help people to enjoy healthier foods. Not to just reduce calories but still eat bad food.
In this case, it sounds like his mandate is to get the weight off. I suspect experience has taught him the most effective way to do that.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #34
Matt Haxmeier
Member Matt Haxmeier is offline
 
Matt Haxmeier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arvada  CO
Posts: 1,619
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
In this case, it sounds like his mandate is to get the weight off. I suspect experience has taught him the most effective way to do that.

Katherine
Or he just realizes that most people don't listen to what he says if he tells them the truth. If he told them to completely stop drinking anything that had any calories, and stop eating out ever, and stop eating any processed food then most overweight people would walk out of there and straight into a McDonalds to cope with the stress of being told to change their life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #35
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

I was going to say that the guy's advice was focused on telling someone something they might try. Most people don't care about diet and that, so you have to tell them things that are easy for them to do. I.e. if you are a doctor and your patient doesn't want to stop smoking, maybe you should not spend 15 out of your 20 mins with them talking about smoking intervention. Look at what they will likely do and are willing to do and encourage that as some change is better than none.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #36
Ivan Wolfe
Member Ivan Wolfe is offline
 
Ivan Wolfe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tempe  AZ
Posts: 474
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I was going to say that the guy's advice was focused on telling someone something they might try. Most people don't care about diet and that, so you have to tell them things that are easy for them to do. I.e. if you are a doctor and your patient doesn't want to stop smoking, maybe you should not spend 15 out of your 20 mins with them talking about smoking intervention. Look at what they will likely do and are willing to do and encourage that as some change is better than none.
I think perhaps that is my nutrition teacher's approach. Today she extolled the virtues of Frosted Flakes - because they are enriched and fortified. But she condemned licorice and sugary soda pop, so I guess she's aiming it at a class mostly composed of freshman and sophomores, figuring if they eat Frosted Flakes rather than licorice, they're better off for whatever reason.

I have to say, I am learning a lot in the class - the sections on how digestion actually works and what all the various enzymes do and where they are and how they interact with each other - this helps me understand everything better. It's more the practical advice I have issues with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #37
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

If you don't work in healthcare yet, you will soon learn you have to pick your battles with people. Maybe at an affiliate people care about what goes in the gullet, but most people simply don't.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some world class lifting at CalStrength today...*** h Glenn Pendlay Digital Coaching 6 06-20-2011 02:40 PM
So I started my ACE personal fitness trainer class today... Robbie Smith Nutrition 35 10-16-2008 05:55 AM
Zone for someone who's taken a nutrition class James Holloway Nutrition 4 12-23-2007 09:48 PM
Hitting is good - took a Krav Maga class today... bill fox Fitness 8 05-23-2005 08:16 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.