CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
Justin Andzel

Profile:
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

I took a nutrition class my Freshman year in college. It was sad listening to the professor ramble on about how to eat "correctly" with a diet full of lots of grains and minimum fat and protein...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #22
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe View Post
In a higher level class, I might. But in a lower level, hundred+ student lecture hall, the teacher just lectures with Power point and isn't interested in debate. Once I have some of these annoying prerequisites out of the way, I do plan on trying for some in class debate (though in a cordial way).
In a higher level class, you probably wouldn't have to. Not that they're going to necessarily agree with CF or paleo or whatever 100%, but they're a lot more likley to be well-rounded and current in their knowledge.

FWIW the intro nutrition class I took was decent... yeah, they talked about the food pyramid and all the party-line stuff because that's what was in the book, but the instructor spent a lot of time telling us that the food pyramid isn't perfect, is constantly developing, and doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. She also spent a lot of time talking about why almost everyone would be better off if they simply ate "real food" instead of worrying about macronutrient ratios, counting calories, taking supplements, or following any guidelines other than "if you can't kill it, grow it, or pick it, don't eat it!"
Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
In a higher level class, you probably wouldn't have to. Not that they're going to necessarily agree with CF or paleo or whatever 100%, but they're a lot more likley to be well-rounded and current in their knowledge.

FWIW the intro nutrition class I took was decent... yeah, they talked about the food pyramid and all the party-line stuff because that's what was in the book, but the instructor spent a lot of time telling us that the food pyramid isn't perfect, is constantly developing, and doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. She also spent a lot of time talking about why almost everyone would be better off if they simply ate "real food" instead of worrying about macronutrient ratios, counting calories, taking supplements, or following any guidelines other than "if you can't kill it, grow it, or pick it, don't eat it!"
I'm in dietetics, and my experience has been quite different from yours.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
Lisa Reed

Profile:

Hi Ivan,

Not sure which book you are using for your nutrition class. If you really want to get a degree in nutrition like a RD, don't rock the boat and get labeled a malcontent. It is a very difficult road with teachers if you do. (been there, done that and back again without sharing my views) I agree it is hard to talk the rhetoric, but it is necessary if you want the capital letters after your name. If you get to use the DPA for your class it is very cool. It is a dietician software that lets you run reports, i.e. daily nutrient levels, activity level vs. energy taken in etc. I was surprised by the results and it really helped me dial in my energy intake. You will learn a lot that can be applied to sports nutrition and specifically Crossfit.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #25
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Nutrition classes are often silly, depending on the level they are being taught at.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
Angela Myers

Profile:

2 things. 1 if grains are so awesome at making you skinny, WHY to we have feedlots for cattle to make them FAT? Thats grain isnt it? Lol.
2 my mil was taking a nutrition class when she was stationed over seas extolling the virtues of baby formula vs milk, human or otherwise.

Oh but my 6yo will be Thrilled to learn lucky charms is good for u!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #27
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Is there any salvageable information from this course? I'm not a big fan of sticking with the party line especially if it is dangerous and not true.

I know you want to get another degree, is this course mandatory? If so, you're sunk. If not, I'd stop wasting my time and do something prodcutive OR I'd use every moment to use the instructors brain to get info that is valuable to you.

I wonder if buying your instructor a copy of Pollan's "In Defense of Food," would be a starting point to open a reasonable discussion.

College shouldn't be about the party line it should be about training the mind and providing a solid base of info. An intro to nutrition course would be fine if it educated on the biology and science of nutrtion--definitions of nutrients, there actions and the role of vitamins etc.

But how can a course advocate lucky charms and avoid meat like the plague? Did they have any data?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #28
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe View Post
*Lucky Charms are actually good for you, because their a good source of carbs (you need at least 60-70% of your calories to be carbs, after all) and are nutrient dense because of the enriched and fortified vitamins and minerals.
I'm confused. If grains are so healthy why do they need to be fortified with vitamins and minerals? The broccoli I had for dinner wasn't fortified at all. Perhaps I should have sprinkled vitamins on it?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #29
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
I'm confused. If grains are so healthy why do they need to be fortified with vitamins and minerals? The broccoli I had for dinner wasn't fortified at all. Perhaps I should have sprinkled vitamins on it?
Yes. Wheat gluten too. Does the body goooood.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #30
James A Wade

Profile:

Im currently on the overweight program for the army and decided to start doing crossfit. Once on this program I had to go see a nutritionist. Basically he told me it was ok for me to eat out and to drink cokes. But instead of getting a double cheeseburger I should get a single. And instead of DP I should get a diet DP. My degree in College was kinesiology with science options. We focused a lot on health and how the body reacts to working out. I was baffled and asked him if he tells everyone the same thing. "YES" is what he said.
I understand some of his logic is to reduce the bad food slowly but I found this appalling. He should be telling people to eat healthy. But he slightly out ranks me so according to army standards that makes me dumb(sorry ranting). Any ways i decided to go about this on my own. Eating better and working out harder. Yes I had a hard time with the food at first but have come to love healthy food to out to eat food. I still have some fat to lose but I like my current weight. Crossfit has become more a way of life than just working out. Good luck to all who are on the same journey.