CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:
Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

I teach English, but due to a nice tuition waver for full time faculty, I occasionally take classes on campus. My choice are aimed at eventually getting an MA in Exercise Science.

So, I'm taking a nutrition class. Things I learned today:

*Lucky Charms are actually good for you, because their a good source of carbs (you need at least 60-70% of your calories to be carbs, after all) and are nutrient dense because of the enriched and fortified vitamins and minerals.

*Meat is very bad for you, and fat should be avoided pretty much as often as possible.

*A whole wheat bagel is a superior snack when compared to cheese.

*Barry Sears "Zone Diet" is "not consistent with human physiology," and "Carbohydrates cause obesity" is the same thing as saying "The Earth is flat."

Sigh. Well, the idea is that I learn the standard party line, so I can work within the system. Some people do a great job attacking from the outside, but there also need to be moles on the inside.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Eric J Leon

Profile:
Re: Things I learned in Nutrition Class today

Did you get a chance to toe the Crossfit party line? Could make for some interesting debate.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J Leon View Post
Did you get a chance to toe the Crossfit party line? Could make for some interesting debate.
In a higher level class, I might. But in a lower level, hundred+ student lecture hall, the teacher just lectures with Power point and isn't interested in debate. Once I have some of these annoying prerequisites out of the way, I do plan on trying for some in class debate (though in a cordial way).
Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Zach Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe View Post
*A whole wheat bagel is a superior snack when compared to cheese.
You should've asked them how can a whole wheat bagel be a healthy snack when it's glycemic index is higher than that of table sugar.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

You should print a copy of this and hand it in with your next paper/test - http://www.care2.com/greenliving/can...al-health.html (wfs)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Reed View Post
You should've asked them how can a whole wheat bagel be a healthy snack when it's glycemic index is higher than that of table sugar.
Easy: "The Glycemic Index is very controversial and isn't to be used as a guide for nutritional decisions." (That's from my notes a few days ago).
Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Zach Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Easy: "The Glycemic Index is very controversial and isn't to be used as a guide for nutritional decisions." (That's from my notes a few days ago).
Rephrased to avoid immediate controversy through name association:

You should have asked them how a whole wheat bagel is a healthy snack when it induces a flux of insulin into the bloodstream larger than what even table sugar could induce.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Because sugar is half fructose which is way worse then glucose. Also why table sugar is better then agave syrup even though agave syrup is lower on the glycemic index.

Bagels are worse for other reasons, not because of their glycemic index.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Rephrased to avoid immediate controversy through name association:

You should have asked them how a whole wheat bagel is a healthy snack when it induces a flux of insulin into the bloodstream larger than what even table sugar could induce.
Because saturated fat is the enemy, and cheese has it. Insulin ? That's something those low carb quacks are hung up on - there's nothing wrong with insulin. Your body can handle that influx of insulin just fine - don't buy into those fad diets!

(just guessing what she would say - I may bring it up sometime, though, just to see)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Zach Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Because saturated fat is the enemy, and cheese has it. Insulin ? That's something those low carb quacks are hung up on - there's nothing wrong with insulin. Your body can handle that influx of insulin just fine - don't buy into those fad diets!

(just guessing what she would say - I may bring it up sometime, though, just to see)
You're probably right about it not being worth the argument as it's only an entry level course.

It's best for you to not attract unwanted attention at this point anyway so you can be a better mole