CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #101
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:
Re: Shoes-Running-Crossfit

Anyone use Salomon Trail Runners at all? I just ordered up a pair of Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D XCR. I wanted to try something with Gore-Tex in it for possibly running outside this winter.

I have been wearing Nike Free 7.0s for a couple of months and just recently tried to switch over to a pair of New Balance 767s (stability trainer) which feels really bulky on my foot to me. Provides great balance but I have gotten used to not having that much stability and being close to the ground. I am sure they would be great for other things, just not running, or making my feet feel comfortable.

I have now gone back to wearing my worn out Asics Gel-Kinsei which I loved from the first day I put them on in Iraq and wore for my second half of the tour (about 8 months, so now 13 months ago). They still feel great on my feet, just a nice broken in feeling and I don’t have to fiddle with the laces. I ran in them again the other day keeping up good speed and technique but they felt a bit sloppy on the tight turns of the track when I was sprinting. I use them as my every day kicks now for the most part.

I am really hoping the Salomon’s will feel good on my feet as they are very picky, who knows how much bulk the Gore-Tex XCR will add. If all goes well I might get a pair without for indoor work until next summer.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #102
Jeff Northrop

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Winter View Post
Does the "500 mile rule" apply to these types of shoes the same as they would a gooshy support shoe?

How well do h-streets/sambas/tai chi's/vffs hold up? With h-streets discontinued, are Puma Cortlandts a good lateral?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but until I've given it a shot, that's all I've got.
I've been wearing the same pair of H-Streets over a year now. I have over 1000 miles of road running on them plus gym workouts 3 days a week. They look like they are maybe half done. These things wear like iron.

Also, for the winter I bought a pair of Puma La Bamba's. They are a street version of their XC spike. The sole and upper is a bit thicker than the H Street, which I thought would be good for the cold months, as a result they are stiffer but otherwise they're a pretty good substitute.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #103
Chris Chaplow

Profile:

Has anyone tried the Asics runsparks. Thoughts?

Last edited by Chris Chaplow : 11-26-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #104
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Asics runsparks. Thoughts?
Bought them from Zappos, tried them on and returned them the same day. Thin soles and flat heels, but there a fashion shoe, not a running shoe. To be honest, I didn't give them the time of day. They run half a size long and a quarter size narrow. They might be alright, but if you want to go with an asics-onitsuka, the best is still the tai-chi.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #105
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Aldrich View Post
Anyone use Salomon Trail Runners at all? I just ordered up a pair of Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D XCR. I wanted to try something with Gore-Tex in it for possibly running outside this winter.

I have been wearing Nike Free 7.0s for a couple of months and just recently tried to switch over to a pair of New Balance 767s (stability trainer) which feels really bulky on my foot to me. Provides great balance but I have gotten used to not having that much stability and being close to the ground. I am sure they would be great for other things, just not running, or making my feet feel comfortable.

I have now gone back to wearing my worn out Asics Gel-Kinsei which I loved from the first day I put them on in Iraq and wore for my second half of the tour (about 8 months, so now 13 months ago). They still feel great on my feet, just a nice broken in feeling and I don’t have to fiddle with the laces. I ran in them again the other day keeping up good speed and technique but they felt a bit sloppy on the tight turns of the track when I was sprinting. I use them as my every day kicks now for the most part.

I am really hoping the Salomon’s will feel good on my feet as they are very picky, who knows how much bulk the Gore-Tex XCR will add. If all goes well I might get a pair without for indoor work until next summer.
I used to wear Kinsei's too, and with soft orthotic insoles for even more support. While it may not of been the easiest method, I switched straight to h-streets and started POSE drills for a summer, and I was running pain free in three months. Take the plunge and start forefoot running, slowly - you'll never look back.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #106
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Three posts in a row means I'm officially a loser, but I just had to mention:

Further proof that someone from the main site reads these forums: Saturday's posted foot-pull drill for forefoot running.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 11-26-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #107
Ryan Blair

Profile:

I have the Solomon XCR's right now, I'm still running in them and I'm trying to convert to the fore foot striking method. They seem to have less of a heel than my NB. I can't compare them to anything like the H Street since I do not own a pair, but they hold up really well and are comfortable, good stability as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #108
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:

Good to hear Ryan, thanks for posting.

Mine are in town but the status has not changed to "out for delivery" yet. Unfortunately my right foot is having quite a bit of pain/discomfort. I am pretty sure its just from the Kinsei's on the sharp turns of the small (21 lap mile) track at the local YMCA, they are on kind of a berm and when I was doing sprints it actually felt like my foot was about to slide off of the shoe. They are just too worn out.

(Can't wait to try the XCR's out, though I most likely will not be running tonight.)

Typed that then took a break to go fix some Thanksgiving Day leftovers and heard a knock at my door and when I turned around no one was there, took a look on the front porch was my Solomon XCR's.

Out of the box they feel really good, pretty light weight, but at the same time they feel protective, like they could really stand up to a lot. Now I am even more excited for my foot to start feeling better so I can try 'em out.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #109
Michael Leach

Profile:

hey guys, i got a pair of h-streets a few months back and i've been wearing them to workout in (crossfit/starting strength), as well as on the weekends when i'm just hanging out.

well, i've got some pretty pronounced wear spots on the soles; the rubber 'spikes' are pretty worn in some areas and almost flat, where other areas look fine. i dont jog much, but when i do i've been trying to be as pose-compliant as possible. i'm just wondering what I can learn about this. how i'm landing/walking/leaning/etc. is there a website or something I can check out for more information?

thanks!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #110
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Learn about what? Your shoes wearing?