CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-28-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
Ok I'm ready to do my fourth crossfit workout but I just noticed that I dont own running shoes. My athletic interest just dont require them (weighlifting and MA). Any budget concious sugestions??????

happy training
Daniel
Old 03-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
John Frankl

Profile:
Daniel,

I just had this conversation with Coach. For 800m type stuff, dedicated running shoes are not really necessary. I found them comfortable in the run, but extremely squishy (is this a word?) and unstable for the lifts that often follow the runs. Even worse, many have a very high heel that puts you on the balls of your feet--just where you don't want to be--when squatting, etc. A good cross trainer or court shoe would probably be a better bet all around. I compromised by getting a very flat and stable trail running shoe, and often taking it off to lift barefoot since I perform barefoot in my other sports (BJJ/MMA) anyway.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 03-30-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
barefoot and on soft terrain...I have an incredible article somewhere about the health of the lower extremities of those who train with shoes adn those with out (the kenyans ran w/o shoes untill pretty recently) it is pretty interesting.
Robb
Old 03-31-2003, 07:36 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I just read an article on the web concerning this issue. Although the website focused on running, it would seem that many of the principles could be applied universally. In sum:

1. Many injuries are actually caused by footwear.
2. Very few, if any, shoes are designed to conform well to the human foot (ever notice how many shows narrow at the toes towards a point, whereas the actual foot broadens as you approach the toe area?).
3. Running without shoes, at least for part of your training, will reduce injuries and work more muscles in your feet. Apparently a lot of professional and collegiate runners do this.
4. Because a shoe dissipates shock, it is harder to tell if you are running with proper form. Try landing hard on your heels while running barefoot.
5. Even barefoot runners who are successful are offered, and often accept, endorsements from shoe companies, not necessarily because they want to wear the shoes, but when there's a sufficient amount of money involved . . . .

For those of you who find this interesting, you can find the whole article at:
http://www.runningbarefoot.org/Why.html

Ryan
Old 03-31-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
John Frankl

Profile:
Great article. I like going barefoot. Though taking this outside to the stairs and streets will be a leap for me.

John
Old 03-31-2003, 07:19 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ryan-
thanks for tracking that down...it is goiing in my bookmarks for sure this time!
Robb
Old 03-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
What do you guys think of Aqua Sox? Running barefoot sounds great, except for the broken glass, sharp rocks and whatnot. I hear some of those aqua sox have kevlar soles so that they don't get cut up on the reefs.
Let me know, I'm curious. In fact, I'm going to start running sprints every day after gymnastics class, now that the weather is getting good. Nothing takes the fat off me like sprinting and kettlebells.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Tyler- I tend to run in my tevas if I am on dicey terrain but mainly I restrict my running to areas i am pretty confident are safe. I think the aqua sox are a great idea alternate sox and barefeet. Build up some callouse (practice some capoeira!) and the minor shrapnel will not be too great a problem.
Robb
Old 04-13-2003, 08:07 PM   #9
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Ryan, above, you say:

4. Because a shoe dissipates shock, it is harder to tell if you are running with proper form. Try landing hard on your heels while running barefoot.

What is proper form, then? I've heard different descriptions from high school coaches, MA, random people. Presumably, you should land on the balls of your feel, let contact come down the outside edge til your heel touches down briefly, then push off your toes?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 AM   #10
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Janet,

That sounds correct. According to my sources (primarily Ken Saxton, runningbarefoot.org), you want to avoid landing on the heel and run ball-heel-ball. They emphasize that a runner will get more benefit from trying to push their body forward as each leg comes in contact with the ground rather than trying to pull with the heel. For an excellent article on running form go to:

http//wwwrunningbarefootorg/HowBarefootOrOtherwise.html

Hope this was helpful,
Ryan