CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Thoughts on "Forks over knives" Documentary and "The China Study"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Would you or do you have the same objections to dairy produced with pastured cows in a natural reproductive state? If so, why?

But what is wrong with those not produced by those methods and the animals who are treated with care?
I dont know if this is Sheldons case, but doing the raw or local dairy stuff is too expensive. These are the prices from my pecious local well treated healthy cows:
milk $8.00 per gallon
butter $9.00 per pound
cream $9.00 per quart
yogurt $7.00 per quart
...my local eggs arent that bad...I pay 7 to 8 bucks for a flat (2.5 doz) of well treated chicken eggs. I havent done the research on the meat side of things...Im happy without it, for this week at least.

And Rebecca, you might be right about the everyone supporting or not supporting vegetarianism here, but the pile on is hilarious. The mere mention of the v word, and hundreds of replies and links and success/fail stories, etc. This forum is no different than everyone at my affiliate. I get a PR on a bodyweight snatch yesterday, just to have someone say, you might get 10 more pounds on that snatch if you ate more meat. Whether true or not, its just hilarious how "everybody wants me to be just like them".
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Mark Davis

Profile:

I personally respect everyone's choice as to why they eat or don't eat a certain food. I personally eat meat, especially wild caught alaskan salmon...mmmmm, but I am always on the quest to take my diet to the next level. If there happens to be scientific evidence that points to a certain diet improving one's health, then I am open to look at it and consider it. It is crazy the amount of different diets out there today and the amount of information about each that contradict each other. As far as The China Study; I am still wading through some of those links. I on a waiting list at the library to check it out and read it. I wonder in his research if he ever looked at the variable of pesticides and chemicals correlating with these diseases?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
I dont know if this is Sheldons case, but doing the raw or local dairy stuff is too expensive. These are the prices from my pecious local well treated healthy cows:
milk $8.00 per gallon
butter $9.00 per pound
cream $9.00 per quart
yogurt $7.00 per quart
...my local eggs arent that bad...I pay 7 to 8 bucks for a flat (2.5 doz) of well treated chicken eggs. I havent done the research on the meat side of things...Im happy without it, for this week at least.
Then don't say it is "ethical" say it is "financial."

Plus, do some research. There are ways to get the costs down. http://www.eatwild.com/products/floridaresources.htm wfs.

If you are too cheap to pay the price and too lazy to look for methods to get the price down then say that. Don't dress "cheap and lazy" up as an "ethical" objection.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

even I felt the heat off that post adam!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
I wonder in his research if he ever looked at the variable of pesticides and chemicals correlating with these diseases?
Good question, as I don't remember that being a major topic. I remember geography being in there though. Like those of yall up north having more vit D deficiencies. The stat from China I remember most was the closer you were to urban areas, the more diseases were found. Whether it was activity levels, economic level, quality of animal protein, or who the hell knows, the distribution of disease was more for city folk. If you're working your own fields, fishing on the coast, consuming your own animals, that seemed golden.

And even though I did not find anything close to me in your link Adam, the fact that I get all my organic produce from a local farm, 5 minutes from me surprises most people. Even if your in Miami, I'd bet there's stuff right under your nose. Wild alaskan salmon...OMG...makes me want to move to Alaska just to catch it myself. I settle for the $10-12/lb Mahi Mahi caught off our coast when I want to act like I have money.

I couldnt help but think that was stiff also Adam. I so didn't want to be that "its too expensive" guy. I think of my buddy with 3 kids, and to go all grass fed, organic produce, local unpastuerized raw dairy...he just laughs. They cash gallons of milk daily. Then again, there's a point there somewhere. If we gathered together to buy bulk, costs start to approach on sale products in the supermarket, I guess?