CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:
Re: Is sleep the first thing we sacrifice?

I think smart sleep is more important then a ton of sleep. I go to bed for eight hours of sleep - and get between 7 and 8. But I take a 20-30 minute nap as soon as I am done eating post workout. The key with the nap is to not oversleep. I have gotten into a routine with it and wake up feeling amazing.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post
Unfortunately not a choice for some of us anyways. If anyone here can tell me how to get a solid 9 hour (or hell, 6 hour) sleep with a baby, and not neglecting their needs for food/security, let us know, you would become an instant billionaire
Hire help.

Which I realize is not an option for most people, but that's why nannies exist.

Katherine
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
How does a person get better quality sleep? Black out drapes, turn off lights from electronics, avoid TV/Computer time before bed?
We added a blackout shade to our window and removed the electronic LEDs from the room. The shade really helped me to fall asleep faster and I sleep through the night no problem. Rarely watch tv or get on the computer before bed.

Nutrition and activity levels an hour before bed may play a part in how long it takes you to fall asleep and sleep quality.

Solve all of that and you might still have kids and/or pets to contend with...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
Ash Smith

Profile:

Well, baby goats and THEN sleep, in that order.

Of all the things I've ever done that have resulted in better sleep, it's been the following:

1. Move to a home that provides absolute silence/dark at night...easier said than done if you live near a highway (our old house) or in a city or apartment complex.

2. Memory foam topper. A 2"-3" mattress topper for ~$100 on Amazon instantly improved both the quality and quantity of my sleep. At that price, you can replace them every year or two and still never approach the price of a Tempurpedic, but you'll get most of the benefit. Unless your WOD includes hauling a Tempurpedic mattress up & down some stairs. Can't help you there...maybe sub a couple of corpses in a burlap sack.

3. Don't have an infant at home. When the baby hit 7-8 months and was able to sleep more than 6 hours straight, it was like magic.

Everything else for me was just gravy. I've never had trouble watching TV before bed, but I stick with stuff I know very well (Simpsons or Office episodes), so the mental energy is very low. Strenuous exercise usually helps, but for me it has to be an all-day endeavor like hiking, climbing, or yardwork. A 20-minute WOD doesn't exhaust me into forced sleep.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

I actually looked into that at one point lol, and it was $200/night for overnight nurses to come to your home! Night daycares were $30 but you had to bring the baby over there and "guarantee" they slept through the night!

But anyways,

My son slept about 3 hours a night for the first 6 months, about 9 hours (broken) from 6-12 months and in the past week has slept through the night all week (15 months). It makes a MASSIVE difference on my physical ability. If I can't sleep well and can't really change that (ie. baby, pregnancy) then I just work out to the best of my ability - whether that's Fran or walking to get the mail. I try not to use it as an excuse but wow, does it really affect performance!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Smith View Post
Everything else for me was just gravy. I've never had trouble watching TV before bed, but I stick with stuff I know very well (Simpsons or Office episodes), so the mental energy is very low.
This really made me laugh!

We watch Futurama every night before bed. Futurama, lights out. For YEARS. If we miss it for some reason, it's harder to fall asleep.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post
Unfortunately not a choice for some of us anyways. If anyone here can tell me how to get a solid 9 hour (or hell, 6 hour) sleep with a baby, and not neglecting their needs for food/security, let us know, you would become an instant billionaire
Dog crate and a little scotch?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #18
Michael Smallwood

Profile:

ZMA and Holy Basil an hour before I go to bed have made a tremendous difference in my sleep quality and quantity. And everyone needs to read "Lights Out" by T. S. Wiley.