CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
zone moderate carb
paleo little lower carb
metabolic diet very low carb

So if all these eating plans effectively switch your primary fuel from sugar to fat it seems that it would be safe to assume that anything at or under a zone prescription for carbs all the way to zero will do the same thing. So really the grail is finding your carb sweet spot (no pun intended) to where you feel and perform your best.
Right? I remeber sears saying that if protien was to high relative to carbs during a meal that that would raise insulin levels and fat would get stored, but if that was the case how could the paleo or md work?

(Message edited by kmckay on September 26, 2006)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Insulin is also used not only for shuttling excess glucose into adipose tissue, but also delivers nutrients to muscle cells...so I am guessing even though the protein may increase some insulin (probably not as bad a sugar), it still just shuttles the amino acids little by little into the muscle cells where they are used to rebuild...since there is no excess glucose that needs to be removed...just a guess...

Personally for me I love more the Paleo with carb replenishing post workouts and weekends (sort of like MD)....always a work in progress of course trying to fine tune what works best...I do believe in timing carbs is just as important too...trying to get it in periods where it will be maximized in the muscle glycogen and not fat.

Hope that makes sense...after doing Linda..blood sugar is kind of low and I need some food...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

unlike carbs, protein will elicit a glucagon response in addition to an insulin response so there is some balance.

but yes, there is a great deal of individuality when it comes to carb demands. it typically takes a bit of experimentation to find the sweet spot, and said sweet spot will likely not remain static over time.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
there is a great deal of individuality when it comes to carb demands. it typically takes a bit of experimentation to find the sweet spot, and said sweet spot will likely not remain static over time.

Everyone needs to read this post 2, 3, 4 times! Not only are carb needs different from person to person, but in all reality they can vary from day to day. This is the problem with rigid plans like the Zone, there's no variation!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Life is supposed to be varied...plus your body responds better to variety (much like exercise)...insulin sensitivity can increase with some days lower in carbs...some higher...we see that in the metabolic diet (best thread going right now). Our demands change as well as said above...so even though the zone may be a good place for carboholics to start with...I personally would stress adapting a more paleo-metabolic and fine tune it to your needs.