CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Profile:
I picked some egg albumen up today because i wanted to have it available as a quick way to have a meal at work. Like a shake! Just add water ... Anyway, i knew the stuff wasn't flavoured and would probably taste funny, but i brought it home, put some water in a cup with a small amount of albumen to see what it would taste like, and it went all globby :lame:. So im thinking this isn't good ... for shake purposes ... Does anyone have any ways of adding albumen into a shake so its a 'just add water' kinda scenario??

The reason i bought it is because i didn't want to get the MRP's that are heavily processed. So i need some ideas on how to get it into liquid form, and not all globby!

Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nikki-

Even the best quality egg protien powders(this one does not sound that great) are NASTY! This is one very nice thing about a good whey protien isolate...blends well and nearly flavorless. On www.mikesgym.org in the links section there is a product for liquid egg whites that I have heard good things. You might check that out.
Robb
Old 11-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
Ahh! And NOW someone tells me the stuff is nasty :lame: I opened it up and im like "eww, this stuff is nast ... don't know if i can stomach this ...". Mhm..

Thanks for the link, although this was the ONLY egg albumen i could buy here! (in my town), i rang up all the stores and this was the only one, its 100% egg albumen, nothing else at all. The problem with the liquid stuff is that 1. Im pretty sure i won't be able to order it in through the store. and 2. the conversion rate + shipping on American products is rediculous. That Greens+ i was talking to you about before ended up at around $75 (from the $30aprx US price), for a 2 weeks supply? hmm, i don't think so!

I'm guessing there isn't much use for it in drinks then :sad: I don't think i would be able to stomach it anyway ... 1 scoop egg albumen to 500 bananas. MmMmm ... banana flavour :uhoh:

I think the problem with the globbiness was because i didn't read the directions first off, and added too much water thinking the stuff would disolve. So it didn't mix well and i didn't leave it to stand for a min or 2. I did it again with correct water amounts and it wasn't globby ... But it still didn't look very tasty :lame:

(Message edited by shnikkidrum on November 05, 2005)
Old 11-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hmm, that site said the egg whites (i assume they are refering to the albumen) shouldnt smell of anything ... if it does its no good. The one i have smells pretty nast, but ... the due by date isn't for another 2yrs. So, is it ok?? or should it have no smell at all and taste like nothing when and when not cooked?

Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 AM   #5
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Nikki,

I always thought that the best post workout snack was a Foster's and a Vegemite sandwich.

Seriously though, have you checked to see if anyone sells Jay Robb brand protein down under? He's suppose to have a kick *** tasting egg protein:

http://jayrobb.com/cat_proteinEggWhiteAll.asp
Old 11-06-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Nikki,
The best use for that stuff is as an additive for food. You can use it to up the protein count in a dish without really affecting the taste. I tend to stick with liquid egg whites as I am something of a purist.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
Nikki Young

Profile:
Thanks Jason, i've had a look at that product before and have had no luck finding an Aussie supplier of it. And i can't buy it online either as they only seem to ship within the USA. Stuff looks perfect for what im after though because it's all natural, and im trying to eat as 'paleo' as possible to some extent.

Frank, by liquid egg whites do you mean fresh egg whites un-cooked?? Apart from being potentially bad for you, i heard your body can only convert less than half of that into protein. Sorry if your talking about something else though.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:
Try this link out for size... http://www.eggnation.co.uk/

I know people bash on the bodybuilding and fitness community, but there's tons of resources available and this one might be a good source for you.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
Nikki Young

Profile:
Thanks John! I decided to experiment with the stuff anyway. And it's actually not that bad. For a post-workout meal, i would blend up 1/2cup egg albumen with some water and a banana. It goes all white and fluffy like a real banana smoothie should :happy: I also tried it mixed in with some pink grapefruit, that also went fluffy ... wasn't too bad! But i'll stick with banana ... i still dont think im going to cook with the stuff though, in terms of making an omlette etc.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Nikki
...we meet again... anyways... I personally go for whole powdered eggs or powdered egg whites. There are a couple bulk suppliers in the states, but like you said it is a pain in the *** getting them into Aus. If you go to a health food store they may be able to order you powdered egg whites in bulk. Also they should be able to get casein, and straight whey as well.

My post workout shake includes...
2 bananas
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup oats
some spinach
3 tbsp powdered egg (or whites)
3 tbsp whey concentrate
some vanilla

It is delicious.