CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Dave Gibbs

Profile:
Cholesterol and hypercholestrolemia

hi all,
I know cholesterol has been discussed alot but I couldnt find a thread that dealt with my scenario.

I am a 39 year old guy who has hypercholestrolemia which according to the docs basically means my body procduces too much bad cholestrol and not enough good. my latest bloods show good at a pathetic 1.0 and bad at a not so good 6.2.
15 years ago when I was a sedentary junkfood eating smoker it was about the same by the way.
Now I eat a very good paeloesque diet and more good fats that anyone I know so I really dont believe the answer is in cleaning up my diet. I am extremely active 5-6 days a week and live a generally healthy lifestyle, not smoking, few glasses or red a week ,etc.

So hear is my dilema. My doctor really wants me to go on statins which I really dont want to as it cant be good for me to be on drugs for the next 50 years. I have read a load of frankly contrary reports telling me completely opposing views all with seemingly decent research behind them and all I am now is confused.
when I was 25 I really couldnt care less about my cholestrol levels but as a 39 years old father of three with wife, mortgage ,etc it is quite scary to choose what path to take.
I really find myself in a quandry and not sure what to do. Advice from enlightened medicos and those in a similar boat most welcomed.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Cholesterol and hypercholestrolemia

Well, this is really your decision, isn't it. If your not ready for statins well, dont go.

If your cleaning up your diet .. good.
exercising .. good.
Perhaps try the high fish oil route for six months and what can be achieved with your levels. There is ample research about fish oil that aids in lowering cholesterol levels... ample research.

Perhaps this could be a discussion with your MD about your plan, further clean your diet( yes i understand that your issues are genetic) but it wouldnt hurt to keep trying. Go the fish oil route for 6 months and redo your levels to see if changes are made. If not, continue the above and go on statins for a 6 months to a year, then drug holiday off for 6 months.
Perhaps with your efforts of diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, and fish oil and the statins, that you can find a point where when you go off the statins it will not be a huge risk zone to be in while your not taking the meds.

who knows maybe the statins will kick start the change and you may not have to go back on them again.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Well, this is really your decision, isn't it. If your not ready for statins well, dont go.

If your cleaning up your diet .. good.
exercising .. good.
Perhaps try the high fish oil route for six months and what can be achieved with your levels. There is ample research about fish oil that aids in lowering cholesterol levels... ample research.

Perhaps this could be a discussion with your MD about your plan, further clean your diet( yes i understand that your issues are genetic) but it wouldnt hurt to keep trying. Go the fish oil route for 6 months and redo your levels to see if changes are made. If not, continue the above and go on statins for a 6 months to a year, then drug holiday off for 6 months.
Perhaps with your efforts of diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, and fish oil and the statins, that you can find a point where when you go off the statins it will not be a huge risk zone to be in while your not taking the meds.

who knows maybe the statins will kick start the change and you may not have to go back on them again.
cheers for the reply Frank.
diet is 90% clean but I will eliminate the remaining crud
I currently take 10 1000mg fish oil capsules a day and have done for probably two years. Is that high enough?
I have read a few disturbing reports about side effects of statins, whats your view?
Thanks mate
Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
Thomas Grippo

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Cholesterol and hypercholestrolemia

I've had very good results from red yeast rice, a staple in the Chinese diet.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gibbs View Post
cheers for the reply Frank.
diet is 90% clean but I will eliminate the remaining crud
I currently take 10 1000mg fish oil capsules a day and have done for probably two years. Is that high enough?
I have read a few disturbing reports about side effects of statins, whats your view?
Thanks mate
Keep up the work on the diet.. it maybe not key in your situation but its part of the sum.

Post up what your taking.. the dosing and such. I bet there could be something better to try.

yes statins can be hard and have a few bad side effects.
But if you can use for a while and then go off on a drug holiday for a while and not take them while still maintaining low risk til the levels go up again, then repeat the process. it maybe worth the risk. Actually which risk you wish to run is the question... side effects or heart attack?
its a personal decision really.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Tom Meehan

Profile:

A great article on Statins can be found at http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8052092994.htm w/f/s. I always felt that statins were a bad idea and this article made me certain. In essence statins do not show much of an effect unless you have already had a heart attack and the effect is primarily due to lowering inflammation.

If you have a high risk in your family of cardiovascular disorders I would strongly suggest getting blood testing for Homocysteine and C-reactive protien (CRP - a general marker for inflammation) - both can be lowered through nutrition, which is a plus.

How are your triglyceride levels? I would expect them to be low with your diet and the fish oil.

You state that you how much fish oil you take but what is your intake of EPA and DHA? - many cheap fish oils are low in the essential fatty acids (and they are the one that provide protection).
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Scott A Morris

Profile:

Dave, there was a good article written in Mens Health magazine titled: Escape from Statins which reviews the pitfalls of them as well as how to correct hypercholestremia with dietary changes. I myself followed some of the recommendations as well as increased my cardio substantially. Needless to say the results of recent cholesterol screens as compared to old profiles were dramatic. Hope this helps, Scott
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Eddie Gulley

Profile:

Scott,

I'm not going to join the debate of whether stations are good or bad just personal experience. I too, as well as my 6 year old daughter, have Hypercholesterolmia. I have been on statins since the early 90s. I am 43 now and healthy as a horse.

I started with cholesterol levels at (total 450, ldl 250 and hdl around 20). With statins I have kept it under 150 with ldl below 100 and hdl still in the 20s for the last 5 years or so. I had a heart attack at 40 from the slow progression of plaque buildup.

Luckily, no permanent heart muscle damage and I have great collateral blood flow due to life long exercise. Along with increased awareness of diet, remaining on statins and religious exercise, I feel better than I have since my early 20s and do not think I am at risk of another event.

I know some people have problems with statins but others, like me, do not. My Dad has had quad-bypass twice and with Statins remains healthy and kicking.

The fact is that at least Lipitor has been shown, for those that can tolerate it, that it does slow-down and with diet can even reverse plaque buildup and definitely decreases the number of cardiac events. It is believed that this is due to a decrase in the inflammation process just like proper diet. The problem is that I don't want to leave all of my health up to potentials and stay on Lipitor as added insurance.

If you try them and do not experience side effects then I would say, grab the insurance and protect your family. Even more importantly, have your kids checked for the genetic profile of the disease so they can head it off years earlier than you and I. My older daughter doesn't have it so not everyone will inherit the bad gene.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

great "other side of the coin prespective"

Since your on it for the long haul, do you drug holiday for a bit?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Grant Nichols

Profile:

Hey guys, great topic.

Quote:
^
Can any of you gentlemen provide any scholarly advice on this subject? I too have less than desirable Cholesterol/Triglyceride levels. I'm currently taking 4 1000mg fish oil capsules a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks