CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Lee Hill

Profile:
Mashed up thumb - limited WODs - HELP!

Hi,

I mashed my thumb in a router mishap, damaged the ligaments. 4 weeks later, I still can't do a press up or dip on it. Strangely, I can do ring pressups, perhaps because weight on different part of hand. I re-damaged it breaking my fall after coming off a pullup bar when my grip went while doing some kipping pull ups - another movement that is do-able but not great.

So I'm sinking into an apathetic funk, with dwindling enthusiasm for WODs as I can only really skip, run and do sit ups. Has anyone experienced anything similar? What did you do?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Anonymous 754029

Profile:  
Re: Mashed up thumb - limited WODs - HELP!

While i personally haven't done anythign similar, my father did, and it just took him a ton of rehab time before he was repaired.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Stephen Smith

Profile:

I bruised my first metacarpal on my left hand a few months ago, along with a lot of tissue bruising of the webbing between my forefinger and thumb (no ligament damage, so not as severe as your issue). I wasn't able to grip with my thumb at all for over a week, but I found I was still able to do back squats (hand only used for stabilization, and I just curled my fingers on bar, didn't use thumb on left hand) and deadlifts (used alternating grip, so the bar wasn't rolling out of my fingers) reasonably well. Between that, and work that didn't engage my hands, I was able to keep my work intensity up while it healed.

Be careful though, and don't overdo it with weights, especially when you're getting fatigued. Fatigue leads to loss of form which leads to increased chances of exacerbating an injury. It sucks to back of on your workouts when you're used to going all-out, but your body does need the opportunity to repair itself.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
Lee Hill

Profile:

Thanks for replies. Intend starting a low impact - (anti-crossfit?) regime on Monday, work on weaknesses. Reckon I could do a form of CINDY - ring push ups. Will try increasing endurance with this, but not to the extent I further damage myself. Front squats, back squats and any rack position is a no-go. Seems to be getting worse, developing a nice ibuprofen habit to manage it.