CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Me and a good friend of mine are looking at realistically opening CrossFit Central Florida by the end of this year. Before doing so though, I would like to start training people 1 on 1 (at a gym) using the CF methodology (for peace of mind and to build a client base). I am trying to get my finances together so that I can attend the May certification (I am also working on getting O-Lifting certified). In the interim though, I am looking for information on how to properly implement CF for different populations (old, young, existing injuries, diabetic, low bone density, etc.), how to introduce and progress people through the program, movement progressions, etc. Basically I'm in search of material that will help me to design and refine programs for clients. I'm thinking that my best bet would be to buy all the back issues of the journal, listen to all the CF-live archives, and go through the documented seminar material. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
I'm not a trainer, but I think you nailed it. Get all of the past journals and read up. Crossfit Live will also have a wealth of info for you. The most recent CF Life deadlt with scaling and modifying workouts for people who have very little physical strength to those who are fit, but can't yet do the WOD as prescribed.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Jason,

Would that be the most recent interview with Coach? Thanks for the input man.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Central Florida? What part? I am in Orlando. James and I have been posting in community trying to find others in this area, where have you been? Email me at ncummings@gmail.com if you are near UCF/Orlando/Oviedo.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Nick,

I'm in Altamonte Springs, been here for a while! :-) You've got mail.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Not part of your current discussion but I lived in Altamonte springs for 6 years in my childhood. Great area!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Allen - it's a small world is it not? Definitely a great area. There's been a population boom in the area recently and home prices have skyrocketed. 6 years ago we bought our house for 120,000 and it recently appraised for 340,000! Wish I would've bought some real estate....
Old 03-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Cole Hanley

Profile:
Your ideas for research and seminars sound like a good start, and the more you can practice by helping other people the more you will learn. I would hope that you'd start with "easy" clients first and improve your knowledge and understanding before moving on to the more challenging cases like diabetics, or people that are very frail or injured. We'd hate for you to be the subject of a 60 Minutes episode about CrossFit because you misapplied the expression "Mess You Up."
Old 03-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Hi Jonathon!
You have mentioned everything you really need to do to gain more information. If you want to start training with CrossFit methodology, you really should read all the journals. There is an amazing wealth of info there, the value of the information far exceeds what you will pay for them. Read those carefully, listen to the CrossFit Live programs, and get on the message boards every day, reading what people have to say, as well as asking questions. That's the beauty of the open source model with all the amazing free information on the site, as well as the connection it provides to the CrossFit "family". Go slowly, practice much of it on yourself, take it to your most capable clients first, progress to the special populations as you get more familiar with scalability. Have fun, and good luck!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Also, you should buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. An outstanding guide for teaching the barbell strength exercises (back squat, deadlift, power clean, bench press, standing press).