CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Well, decided to start a log.

July 18, 2007

5'3" 115 lbs.

I have been doing side presses recently, but I just decided to switch to curl grip bench press instead.

Started out with 25 lbs, did some reps but it was way to easy.

5 reps #50 - harder but not enough.
5 reps #70 - this was about right, wasn't a five rep max but it felt fairly heavy.

It might take me a little while to define my limits in this exercise, but I'm looking forward to it - and to plenty of gains.

3 reps one armed comedowns at about five seconds each with an extra 4 lbs - pretty strong for the first two reps, but, even though I was taking breaks between reps, the third one was going down faster than the others at about three or four seconds.

Abdominal work is out for today - abs are still sore from the dragon flag work I did a while ago.

My goals at current are;
One complete dragon flag rep
One arm pull up by the end of this year
BW bench press (curl grip)

Old 07-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
July 19, 2007

Curl grip bench press

I went up to 80 lbs. but found that too heavy and only got about four reps. For next set, went down to 75. That was much nicer and I did five reps. I was getting some shoulder pain from the first set which leads me to believe that my form might have been wrong for that one.

One arm comedowns

3x1 with added 6 lbs. About 7-8 seconds descent, 6 on one of the final reps.

I have come up with a way to increase grip strength with the OAP. Instead of using chalk to increase grip, leave your hands bare and let the sweat which will quickly accumulate on the bar impair your grip (as long as you are still safe - a doorway pull up bar is what I use and losing my grip wouldn't kill me, but if your bar is too high or this would otherwise just be unsafe, you wouldn't want to do it.) I did the one rep sets alternating and used my strongest side first. This will make your non-dominant side work harder to grip the bar. An absence of chalk should make the OAP nice grip work as well as pulling work.

I tried to challenge my grip even more by putting water on my hands for the last two reps, but I found myself hanging from my fingers instead of the full hand. Sweat is probably good enough to challenge your grip. (Other added bonus - a tighter grip will translate into a stronger pull - isn't hyperirradiation great!)

I also seemed to notice two different feels to the eccentric. One that I had at the top and one that I came across while I was going down - about 90 degrees, I think. I don't recall having that feeling of the two portions of the eccentric before. And before, at the bottom, it was difficult to keep a controlled eccentric. After I encountered this "second portion," I was controlling the bottom better it seems. Perhaps it was a shift in body alignment or something like that. Maybe I'll find out in the days to come.

Dragon flags

Two sets that consisted of restrained ROM reps.

I have a stretching book coming soon. Relax Into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline. The stretching that I was doing wasn't seeming to give me much results.

Oh, and here is a little pearl of knowledge. When a barbell is up on a stand, you do not take all the weights off one side before getting to the other. Otherwise ... *smash* *bang* :doh:

(Message edited by Benedict on July 19, 2007)
Old 07-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
July 20, 2007

Just two sets of dragon flags today.

Still waiting for my book.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Derek,

Cool on the OAP goal...I may throw that in with my freestanding HSPU. Pls keep posting your findings/gouge as you develop your OAP, I'll be popping in now and again to check it out hope you don't mind.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Of course I don't mind. I think it's great that people would show interest in my journal.

If you want to, you could join the competition we have going for the OAP (competitions page).

July 21, 2007

Rest day - don't want any cumulative overtraining.

Still waiting for my book. Sometimes shipping can be so slow.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:
July 21, 2007 (Again)

I decided that I needed lower back work and did some deadlifts. I was previously working with about 100 lbs but today I really ramped up the weight. I did a 165 and then a 180 lb deadlift. That last one took pretty much every cent of strength I had. Hopefully, I will increase quickly and reach a 2x bodyweight deadlift (230 lbs) sometime.

New goals;

One arm chin
Full dragon flag rep (about 40 degrees ROM to go)
BW bench press
2x BW deadlift
Old 07-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:
July 27, 2007

Been awhile, but nothing has really happened. Some dragon flags and a whole lot of arm wrestling on Sunday. The arm wrestling left my right arm sore for quite a while. Did some deadlifts, too, but even though I had a weightlifting belt, something seemed to tear or something and I had some pain around the hip flexor area for a while. I iced it and the pain was gone the next day. I intend to be careful about the dragon flags, though. Even without pain, the injury might still be healing.

My stretching book came at last. I expected a little more, but I now have a great variety of flexibility drills well explained and illustrated.
Gotta start working on my splits now. :proud:
Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Derek Maffett

Profile:
July 28, 2007

10 lb comedowns, 3x1 at seconds degrading from about nine.

Tuck planche and tuck planche push up work. Felt a slight twinge in my elbow and ruled in favor of the ounce of prevention. Cut the workout a bit short.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:
July 29, 2007

Rest

July 30, 2007

3x1 weighted comedowns at 10 lbs, 3-7 seconds per.
2x1 15 lb ankle weights tuck planche hold, then lower.
Bit of other planche work.

Some isometric stretching - the hip flexor stretches were not nice.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:
July 31, 2007

Rest, but I will probably do some stretching today.