CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I was reading a book on Omega fatty acids and the author mentioned Uncle Sam cereal having 100% of the recommended daily allowance of ALA Omega 3's. I purchased a box and it's basically whole wheat kernels and whole flax seeds slightly sweetened with malted barley. I know grains aren't popular but I love cold cereal and am considering adding this to my diet to complement my fish oil supplements. One serving is 190 calories and skim milk adds another 90 or so.

Has anyone else tried this cereal? Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on it?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
I love that cereal, but gave it up when I went Paleo/Zone. I consider grains a no-no. If you want more EFA, just take more fish oil pills.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

flax is a terrible way to get n-3s. it supplies 18-carbon n-3s and our bodies need ones with 22-24 carbons. there is a conversion process, but it's really inefficient, so you end up with a very low percentage of usable n-3s. flax also creates some systemic inflammation, the countering of which is one of the big reasons to get n-3s.

So flax as an n-3 source is a waste of time at best and counterproductive at worst. Add grains to the equation, and you just get a whole mess of other issues as well.

If you want to eat cereal, that's a choice of priorities for you to make--but don't fool yourself into believing you can find one that's healthy.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Jonas Cronfeld

Profile:
I eat oatmeal myself every morning with good results. All the guys in Denmark I know who's really fit does the same. Every educated health expert I know in Denmark says that it's very healthy, and that all the research presented in this community is pseudo. Of course that doesn't necessarily make oatmeal healthy, it's just to say that their is many different opinions. I don't know who to believe myself, and I don't have enough knowledge about the subject to interpret the research myself. I've had long periods on strict paleo too, but I didn't really note a difference.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Chris Lampe

Profile:
Greg,

Your response surprised me because flax is the most recommended way to get plant-based Omega-3's. If flax is bad what do you recommend?