CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Re: My 1RM Back Squat is now a 5RM! - And looking for some possible critique as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kaupp View Post
Power cleans- as the bar comes up, push the knees back more and get your shoulders over the bar more. The big problem is that you are catching the bar too low on your chest. You want to catch it up on your shoulders, almost against your throat. The bar should be against your throat with your elbows up when your feet hit the floor in the landing position. Drop the hips another inch or two to get yourself under the bar.
Widening your grip may help this. At the Oly certs we teach a thumb and a knuckle or two thumb lengths off the smooth part of the bar. This should help the turnover being quicker.
Okay, Ill try a wider grip to get a faster turnover. Thanks

Also, Tamara got back to me. she said more or less what John said. Catch higher on shoulders, faster turnover.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: My 1RM Back Squat is now a 5RM! - And looking for some possible critique as well.

Make sure your flexing your hips a tad in receiving the clean. From the video, it looks like only your knees bend to receive the bar. Think quarter squat position.

Heres an example from John Broz himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKrQu5ojD-Q WFS

Last edited by Aaron Gainer; 08-29-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Hector Santiago

Profile:

POWER CLEAN- The Biggest thing that I can see that you have to POP the hip and sit back down! you are receiving the bar all the way up standing up. just sit back down a little lower, above parallel everybody will count it as a power clean any way. below parallel, squat clean. with light weight, it might not make a difference but when it is start to get heavy, the heavier the weight the faster you have to be, and sit back down faster, start with knuckles facing the floor this will make the bar stay closer to your body, sit back down in your set up a little bit more. any way Remember POP! and SIt! I am not an expert just my clean and jerk slowly has being going up because technique is getting better.

SANTI
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

First of all, great work. It warms my heart to see someone your age taking his strength seriously. I wish I had been doing an honest linear progression in someone's garage when I was 16.

Looks to me like you need to take out those upper pins on the squat rack you're using, because you were coming dangerously close to bouncing off the pins on each rep. Also, learn how to use the bounce (stretch reflex) out of the bottom, and shove your knees out more. Pretty good squats, aside from that.

On presses, you're pushing the bar too far out in front on some of those reps, imagine you're wearing a beanie on every rep and try to peel it back off of your forehead with the bar. Also, elbows forward will help fix this, the reason why you push it out in front is that at the start of the rep, your elbows are behind the bar, so squeeze the elbows forward and in when beginning each rep.

Also, listen to some better music, for God's sake. Is that really what's popular with kids your age now?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
First of all, great work. It warms my heart to see someone your age taking his strength seriously. I wish I had been doing an honest linear progression in someone's garage when I was 16.

Looks to me like you need to take out those upper pins on the squat rack you're using, because you were coming dangerously close to bouncing off the pins on each rep. Also, learn how to use the bounce (stretch reflex) out of the bottom, and shove your knees out more. Pretty good squats, aside from that.

On presses, you're pushing the bar too far out in front on some of those reps, imagine you're wearing a beanie on every rep and try to peel it back off of your forehead with the bar. Also, elbows forward will help fix this, the reason why you push it out in front is that at the start of the rep, your elbows are behind the bar, so squeeze the elbows forward and in when beginning each rep.

Also, listen to some better music, for God's sake. Is that really what's popular with kids your age now?
Thanks a bunch for the advice

Squat: The pins hold up the uprights. I can't take them off unfortunately. One day I'll get a better rack with safeties, but this is the best I could do for $165.

Press: I know my elbows are coming forward, I need to fix that. Although the beanie idea is pretty good.

Music: Thats what pumps me up before PRing. Usually its the same 3 songs when I squat and press, and everything else song doesnt matter.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I finally took a look at the power cleans and agree that faster elbows and sitting back more when receiving the bar will help you. Notice how your hips aren't really going into flexion when you receive the bar--you should be sending them back rather than sending your knees forward to compensate. Think about hitting a 1/4 squat position or somewhat similar to where you'd be at the bottom of a KB swing. You can work that landing position a few times a day without a bar--just go from an imaginary hang position to the landing position with your butt back and elbows up. Then when you're back in the gym you can reinforce that movement with an empty (or very lightly loaded) bar and do some tall cleans or tall power cleans where you focus on hitting that same butt back landing position.

As for faster elbows, the tall cleans will help for them too. You can also work turnover speed by doing one of the drills Greg Everett talks about in his book. Can't find any pictures or videos of it right now, but with your normal clean grip on an empty bar (or maybe even PVC to start with) you would hold the scarecrow position (bar close to body, elbows high and outside) for a few seconds, then without any more upward pull on the bar you whip your elbows around and end up in the front rack. Adding that to your warmup will make you faster on your turnover.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #17
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

As for faster elbows, the tall cleans will help for them too. You can also work turnover speed by doing one of the drills Greg Everett talks about in his book. Can't find any pictures or videos of it right now, but with your normal clean grip on an empty bar (or maybe even PVC to start with) you would hold the scarecrow position (bar close to body, elbows high and outside) for a few seconds, then without any more upward pull on the bar you whip your elbows around and end up in the front rack. Adding that to your warmup will make you faster on your turnover.
Ill definitely try all of this later today. However, what is a tall powerclean?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Tall clean (WFS)

You could also do the same thing but receive the bar above parallel. Focus on pulling yourself under (rather than pulling the bar up) and hitting a solid landing position.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Tall clean (WFS)

You could also do the same thing but receive the bar above parallel. Focus on pulling yourself under (rather than pulling the bar up) and hitting a solid landing position.

Okay, thanks, i'll definitely try working on those, especially during myy warmups. I took some new video today, ill post it tomorrow with some deadlift video.