CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Rachel Bjorn

Profile:
Anyone loyal to the Zone diet? My question is simple, and since it costs $5/week to join the zone website, I thought I'd ask it here:

With the block method, how do you account for 'crossover' grams--like, I can eat my 21g of protein in chicken, but the chicken also has a bit of natural fat. Do I eat my fat blocks on top of whatever is already in the chicken? Or do I attempt to figure out how many grams of fat are in the chicken, and then just eat the remainder fat from another source?

In the morning, I have oatmeal & protein powder. Do I eat my 27g of carbs all of oatmeal, or do I try to calculate out a few grams since there are a few in the protein powder?

Does my question make sense? It just seems very complicated and time-intensive to do this kind of calculating five times a day.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Guest2

Profile:

each food will represent 1 macronutrient with the exception of dairy (and whether or not you should be eating dairy is a whole can of worms beyond the scope of this question and the zone).

so your chicken is protein. your oatmeal is carb. your protein powder is protein unless it has a significant amount of carb (which it shouldn't).

the zone fat block quantity assumes a certain amount of fat accompanying protein sources, so you don't need to try to account for that.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Rachel,

A great way to go is to combine zone ratios with paleo quality. Not only is it allot healthier but when dealing with whole foods is is easier to determine macro nutrient blocks IMHO because they tend to be larger.

(Message edited by kmckay on November 29, 2006)
Old 11-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Rachel Bjorn

Profile:
Thanks for the input from both of you...so I guess you'll still be relatively within the right ratio of protein/carbs/fat even if there are a few random elements mixed into all three areas. Kevin, I haven't read about Paleo yet but I intend to.