CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Tonight for dinner I made steak (which is my all time favorite meal by the way!).

Now my wife doesn't like steak (so she says), so I made her calamari rings mixed with veggies, vodka sauce and olive oil.

As I was cooking her dinner, I was thinking to myself whether she really did not like the taste of steak or is this something she's told herself and trained her taste buds into believing over the years. Maybe since other food choices were always available (junk/comfort food such as mac and cheese or sandwiches) she never had to like steak.

Not to put everything in an evolutionary worldview (as I have a tendency to do these days), but I have a hard time imagining a stone age women saying "no thanks honey, you know I don't like meat" to her stone age husband who spent all day hunting down their dinner.

So my question is this: Do you think everyone likes steak whether they know/admit it or not?

Maybe this is a stupid question I'm proposing here but I guess I just have a hard time believing how someone doesn't like nice juicy seasoned steak....

am I being too narrow-minded here?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Carrick Joseph Hines

Profile:
I think it really depends on the person. For the most part the women I know love to load carbs and fats. They love sugar, chocolate, fatty things, fried things. To be quite honest these women don't excercise and in my opinion don't need quite the same amount of protein a man or an excercising man might require. There are a lot of women that love steak don't get me wrong, I just see them more often then not going for carbs or fat than high protein. I wasn't trying to bash women either. I hope it didn't come off that way. The same thing goes for men. I see non-excercising men consistently choosing carbs over anything else.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I eat steak every day, literally. Since discovering Tri-tip and cajun steak rub at Sam's Club there's just no stopping. On breaks at work everyone busts my balls about it and I just marvel that they do so while chowing down the most Gawdawful stuff. All men also I might add. BTW, just what the hell is vodka sauce?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I personally have found the taste of beef in all forms and seafood of any type to be completely appalling my entire life.

I don't eat junk instead - I eat eggs or chicken. I just think those other things taste nasty.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
Steve VanGilder

Profile:
My girlfriend does not like beef very much either. She'll eat liver or goat before beef (chicken, fish and eggs usually), although she's not fond of heart. Have you suggested to try liver or goat for dinner? Plus liver is high in choline too for men.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
Roberto Dowse

Profile:
Everyone's taste preferences change throughout their lives. As we mature our palates also mature, usually adding more flavors as we age but occasionally dropping a flavor that we used to enjoy.

And each person's taste preferences must be judged individually. It may go back to the old nature vs nurture argument.

My wife loves a good bloody steak! (as do I)
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
What I read, was that our tastebuds die out as we age. So we may have half the number we did as children, which is a common explanation for why strong flavored foods might be avoided by children, but enjoyed as adults. Personally, I spontaneously started liking black olives a couple years ago when I hated them as a kid.

But seafood and beef are still nasty tasting. ;)
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Becca, funny you say that about the black olives...the same thing happened to me.

Never really liked red onions either but now I'm a big fan.

Cool website you got there by the way.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
If you wanna go all "evolutionary", then realize that food phobias are vital survival mechanism. If you eat something new and have a bad reaction to it (say, an upset stomach) then you'll have a powerful aversion to that food for the indefinite future.

Very likely, your wife really does not like steak. If she were to introduce steak back into her diet, forcing herself to eat it over and over again, she would eventually break that food phobia. (Read "The Man Who Ate Everything", specifically the first chapter, which focuses on food phobias. Funny stuff.)
Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
Yael Grauer

Profile:
That is too funny. My parents used to try to make me eat eggs all the time as a kid (I hated eggs) to keep checking if my taste buds had changed. Some article they read in the NY Times or something. So I didn't eat eggs until maybe a few years ago. The funny thing is that I love eggs now.

I go through phases with my meat... I'm just getting out of a beef and buffalo-heavy phase and craving fish and chicken.

I'd be hard-pressed to turn down meat other people cook for me though. :-)