CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I ordered some steaks and burgers from US Wellness. The company couldn't be nicer but the first shipment of burgers they sent out were spoiled (they replaced them without argument). A little worrying the owner said something like, "yeah, we send them out for grinding and I guess they just sat there longer than they should."

Even worse, I guess, the unspoiled meat doesn't taste very good. There is a strong aftertaste, which perhaps is the effect of grass (I may not be used to it having been fed on artificially grown steers).

For the money, I'd rather just go to a good butcher and trim the fat.

Is this normal or just a bad supplier?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Marc Moffett

Profile:
Grass finished beef should taste awesome. It *might* be in your head. I know that when I serve people wild game (like pronghorn or elk) they love it and think it is great unless I tell them it is pronghorn--in which case they tend to think it is "gamey".
Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
I'd have to say I've noticed a difference. It definately has less fat which perhaps has an affect. I wouldn't say the taste is any better or worse, just different. We bought a quarter beef last fall, and its the first grass fed beef that I've had since I was a kid. I did notice the difference. The hamburger is incredibly lean by the way.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Elliot,
It is the difference in O-3 versus O-6 fat in the grass-fed beef (compared to the grain-fed) that you aren't used to.

If you give it some time, your body will come to appreciate this distinction.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
The beef tastes more "rich". Its too complex of a flavor to describe really, and I don't have the vocabulary. Not gamey.

On a related note:

Our neighbor gave us some eggs from some person with some chickens. I assume these were the "free range" sort of chickens. I noticed that the yolks has a really deep yellow orangish color.

I made them into omlettes with your typical King Sooper eggs (sans yolks). It was an amazing difference in color. The mass produced grain fed chickens produce a light yellow yolk in comparison. I assume that the color is a result of the more complex chemistry and the presence of trace elements, not found in the factory bird.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Mike Neill

Profile:
I live in Seattle and am sort of hooked into the organic farming scene in the rural land around here. I often have grassfed beef, freerange chicken, the eggs from freerange chickens, milk and cheese from pasture-only cows etc. The differences between that real food and the industrial waste wrapped in styrofoam sold in the chain groceries cannot be over-emphasized. I am getting to the point that I will not eat meat unless I can get the real thing.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Jesse Woody

Profile:
To me, it tastes a bit gamier, much closer to wild venison than regular beef. Personally that's not a problem as I subsist almost completely off of venison in the winter, but I could see where somebody more-accustomed to grain-fed meat might find it odd.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Rob McBee

Profile:
I find grassfed beef to have a richer flavor and chewier texture than grain-fed. It seems to cook faster if I'm not imagining things.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Gamey isn't the word I would use...it has a much richer flavor and being able to leave the fat on makes a difference too. Given the choice, I'll take the taste of real grass-fed beef over grain-fed anyday of the week.

I just had me a delicious grassfed steak by the way. ....cooked rare of course.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Yeah, I have been eating grassfed for a few months then last week I picked up a pound of grainfed. After getting used to the real thing the grainfed tastes like cardboard, or literally like grains, but the grassfed did take a little getting used too. It tastes kinda like grass! After going back to grassfed again it's like, whoa, I never want to get stuck without this in my freezer again.