CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-11-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
As I will sometimes do, I went into Diary Queen and got a double burger the other day. It was really good!

I happened to be sitting next to a family and observing. Mom and dad both moderately obese kids not there yet, but had a start. Mom told daughter she could not have her desert (12oz blizzard, ice cream mixed with candy), until she finished all of her good food first.

She was refering to the french fries...

I actually, physically cringed, when I realized what was going on. The child's meal was a hot dog, soft drink and fries, oh yes and desert because the kid forced down the fries smothered in Ketchup.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:  
Many parents do that to their kids, it may not be fast food but the out come is the same. My parents are devoiced and I lived my mom, needless to say she use to do that to me. Luckly one summer visting my dad he sat me down and had a "chat" with me. Eversince I have been eating good and working out.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
Andrew Steeves

Profile:  
At least there was Ketchup

It's like that study, where kids didn't know diary comes from chickens and french fries are fried brocolli.

I know someone who didn't know pickles were just pickled avocadoes. Talk about crazy.

We need to educate!

(Message edited by asteeves on May 11, 2006)
Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Tom Brose

Profile:
Avacadoes?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Anthony Marzolf

Profile:
Mmm... Chicken milk.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
David Stegman

Profile:
We had to go to a dinner at my little boys day care the other day. It was for the families of all the kids in his school etc.

They cooked a spaghetti dinner with salad, bread sticks, and cookies. I didn't eat (waited till I got home) but a VERY overweight couple sat down a few seats from us. I watched them for a bit, I just wanted to see if they were reserved or went full out etc. They had each of their plates piled high with spagetti/sauce, salad drenched in ranch dressing, two bread sticks each, and to top it off 5 sugar cookies EACH. Most everyone else took one or two cookies..not 5. Anyway, I then noticed their 5 year old daughter walk up with her plate. My heart kind of sunk a bit because she was also overweight and she is only 5. It's like she has no chance you know.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
Brooke Simmons

Profile:  
When my husband and I took a road trip down to Florida, we stopped to eat at a Shoney's. They had a buffet that was essentially all fried food (in fact, I think that was how they advertised it), and at one point I noticed that well over half the people in the restaurant were obese (if not morbidly so). That was the same trip where I ordered salmon with green beans at another restaurant, and when my order arrived, the salmon was covered in hollandaise sauce, and the green beans were cooked in bacon fat.

My husband is from Canada, and at his heaviest he weighed 200# (6 feet tall, doesn't exercise). He came to the States two years ago, and for about a year now he's been maintaining 225#.

How did it get like this here?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Rural America is the worst... so many obese people.

One of my coworkers has postulated that most of these people came from a family history of agriculture. Farmers work hard, so they can eat most anything without getting obese. However, nowadays most people aren't farmers... but they still eat the same.

One of my favorite things about visiting my old college roommate in San Francisco is marvelling at the relative absence of fatties.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
Michael Ledney

Profile:
While we're ranting...the most amazing thing is the way that we, as a nation, are able to combine morbid obesity with malnutrition. I mean, these people are horrifically fat but still manage to maintain vitamin and mineral deficiencies that are killing them as fast as the hypertension.

and to Brooke's point per Shoney's, every time I drive to Chicago I pass a billboard in Indiana aimed specifically at truckers which advertised a sixty foot buffet. That's 20 meters of food, all highly processed. I know because I've stopped just to marvel at it more than once. It's always packed with the bovine sycophants milling from one ladle to the next. I once did a Cindy in the parking lot (subbing burpees for pullups) as a cleansing ritual.

Rant off, back to my delicious and semi-healthy breakfast quiche on chick-pea flour crust. Man, do I feel superior.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
It used to take people until their 20s or 30s for their bad eating habits to catch up to them and make them really overweight. Now nutrition is so bad in general, that it only takes until middle school for people to get way over the line.