CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Ted Williams

Profile:
I've been working towards a Zone diet for a couple weeks now. First I ordered a couple books (posted on those earlier), then a food scale and the Crossfit meal plans journal. I've even bugged my wife into trying it out with me.

I'm 175, 5'8" (can't remember all my measurements right now) with 19% bodyfat. I measured this by using a measuring tape and using the calculator on the Sears Zone website. I figure I should be eating 17 blocks a day.

I do the WOD's regularly, and have pretty random days at work...which means I could behind a desk all day, or part of a day then off to do a search warrant or surveillance (which would be just driving a car, sitting in a car, or walking around).

Now, the issue. I've started weighing my food and thinking up meals pretty consistently for the last week. I tried to start a couple weeks before last week, but it didn't go as well as this last week did. Anyhow, I'm noticing that I seem to feel like I have more consistent energy...but have noticed one bad thing...which seems to be getting worse. My clothes, which had been fitting more and more loose since starting Crossfit, have started to feel tight. I'm also feeling a bit bloated throughout the day. I'm guessing this is because of all the veggies I'm eat...but this is going to make it hard for me to keep on this diet.

So, do I need to change up what I'm doing? Or does it get better, and this is just a period of adjustment. I need to do another bodyfat calculation (have to borrow a scale, so haven't done it in a couple weeks), but when I look in the mirror I *think* I look leaner....

Anyhow, any help is much appreciated.

Ted
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
Ted Williams

Profile:
I searched the archives a bit more and figured out its a lot of what I'm eating thats making me feel bloated. You know, like the 5 block smoothie I had in a rush (well, rush to make, not to drink...that was like 2.5 glasses!) the other day...ugh.

One thing I've noticed since the start of this week...I seem to be walking around and doing things more quickly now...take work for example. I forgot something in my car yesterday...got all the way into the office and realize I left it on the 4th floor in my passenger seat. I booked on back there and just felt weird...like had a ton of energy. Its also affected my sleep though, as I use to just konk out at night, now I'm wide awake at 11pm. This part I hope I adjust to, I'm definitely not getting enough sleep.

Ted
Old 08-31-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
How about hydration, how much water (not other beverages) do you consume during the day?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
Ted Williams

Profile:
Probably not enough. I drink about 8 - 16oz in the morning, another 8 - 16 during work (sitting at my desk...drink more when out and about...but sometimes that is green tea not water), and then another 8 - 16 at dinner. This is in no way consistant though.

Ted
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Ted Williams

Profile:
Its been a couple days since posting this thread, and really I've been feeling worse.

I should clarify, I have energy and all that, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I seem to be packing on more fat...or maybe its water weight?

I haven't been keeping a food journal, but write down my meals on a 3x5 when I make them, to make sure I'm getting the right amounts.

I figure I need 17 blocks...but now I'm wondering if I am just eating way too much?

Either way I'm giving this until Tuesday, if I can't figure it out its off to what I was doing before...at least I didn't feel fat when I was doing that.

Frustrated!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Ted, keep us posted. I`ll be interested to hear if you firgue things out with the Zone.

I also found that I was enjoying some great benefits to the Zone (higher energy being the biggest), but had some downsides. My sleep wasn`t as good for a while. I found I was waking in the middle of the night and couldn`t identify any other changes in my life other than the Zone. That seems to have gone away now and I`m sleeping fine.

Jason
Old 09-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
Interesting...I'm having the same problems. I use to sleep like the dead...now I wake up and sit up at night...the other night I sat up and started getting ready to do the WOD...grabbed my cellphone to turn off my alarm and realized that it was 2am!

Ted
Old 09-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Mikael V

Profile:

What about simply eating a little less? Like 15 blocks instead of 17? Sounds like you're just taking in too many cals...
Old 09-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Ted Williams

Profile:
I'm thinking the same thing now, was actually going to drop it to 14...and another thing I noticed is that I recently bought some vanilla whey powder from Whole Foods...and organic milk. I haven't had milk (outside of occassional ice cream, and other dairy products) in my diet since forever...over 10 years. Anyhow, I'm thinking the whey is likely the biggest change I've made that coinsides with when I started to feel like I was getting bigger...

The plus side is now my wife thinks I'm worse than a teenage girl :uhoh::crazy: She says I'm obsessing..hah...errr...do these elastic waist shorts make me look fat?

Ted
Old 09-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #10
Ted Williams

Profile:
Feeling a bit better now that I've cut out the whey powder. I've also dropped back to 4 blocks (14 total). Kinda went a bit nuts last night and had a big ol Lagunitas IPA...downed some bbq'd chicken along with it though...then some chocolate :proud: it was a stressful day yesterday....