CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
Zachary Hany

Profile:
When starting the Zone diet is it better to just go with the general prescription at first or should I start out with slightly increased fat intake? I am currently doing the beginner’s CF program from the journal five days per week and play Gaelic football on Sundays. I’m 1.83 m tall, and about 90 kg. According to a Zone calculator I found online my bf% is about 15% or so (can anyone tell me about what that would look like?) and I should be eating 19 blocks per day.

I'm trying to adapt it to the diet that is commonly consumed here (China), that way it is easier when I go out to eat, and I can try to get others to join in. I’m going to go buy a scale tomorrow and do some planning this weekend.

Someone mentioned in another post that Asian diets probably don't involve consuming as much soy as we think they do, I'm curious how much people think is consumed. What did surprise me when I first got here was the amount of fat that is consumed! I quickly learned to not fear fat.

Thank you,
Zach
Old 05-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
8-10% you should be able to see a "4-pack" (I really hate that term). Under 7% a pretty decent 6-pack. 15% smooth. Don't take web calculations seriously. Keep us updated with your efforts, this should be intresting.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
chris muscarella

Profile:

Larry, the other option is to get bigger abdominal muscles. When I was 10 years old I started doing a ridiculous amount of sit-ups, leg-raises, dragon flags, and lever practice. My ab muscles got big. I'm pretty sure I can carry up to 14% bodyfat and still have a six-pack.

I think the WOD often exposes the abs to things that will hypertrophy them in a big way: lots of L-pullups, etc.

Agree with your other points.

Zach--eating Zone in China is not that bad. There are many dishes that are zone friendly based around garlic, green vegetables, and cabbage. Ask for no MSG and less oil in the food and it is very clean. Then do the 2/3 vegetables and 1/3 meat protocol and things work out pretty well. Now if you figure out how to get jiaozi to comply to the Zone, you are obligated to post again...
Old 05-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #4
Zachary Hany

Profile:
Chris,
I figured that Chinese food would be able to fit in with the Zone pretty well. When I go out to eat it usually ends up being one vegetable and two meat dishes, which also are about 2/3 vegetable.

When I first got here I ended up dropping about 35-40 pounds just from the change in dietary habits and having to walk everywhere (I came as a Peace Corp volunteer so I didn't have money to spend on taxis). Gained about 10-15 of it back though.

Your comment about jiaozi made me smile. It also brought up a question, while eating in the Zone it is always best to eat Zone favorable foods, but if you do occasionally eat something that may not be the best as long as you keep the macronutrient ratio equal it should be too bad, correct? Have you ever spent time here?

Larry,
Thank you for the quick rundown on the bf%. I wasn’t too sure how much faith to put into the calculators online. However, do you feel I should use the recommendations from there for the number of food blocks? One other question for you, I recently sent you a message through the board, I was wondering if you got it or it was lost in the junk mail?

Thank you both,
Zach
Old 05-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
chris muscarella

Profile:

Zach, the better the macronutrient ratio the better you avoid unfavorable hormonal responses (caused by insulin spikes, etc). In my personal experience, if I end up eating high GI carbs, I'll frequently up the fat a bit to counter the insulin spike.

I lived in China for a bit over a year.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Zach, didn't get it...send it again and I will answer. If you could get calipers, that's really the best way to go. I really don't think exact bodyfat measurements are very important, consistant measurements are very imprortant. If you could consistantly measure body fat, you could keep a handle on how much fat you lose and how much lean mass you gain.