CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Justin Emmons

Profile:
gluten... what's the big deal?

I have read that everyone is going gluten free and I am currently trying to do paleo, but I was wondering if anyone had any studies or articles to back up the whole gluten is bad thing? Does it affect people who do not have celiac disease?

On a different note does anyone believe in colon cleansing and all the crap (no pun intended) for sale on the market? is there any science behind the hype? thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: gluten... what's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Emmons View Post
I have read that everyone is going gluten free and I am currently trying to do paleo, but I was wondering if anyone had any studies or articles to back up the whole gluten is bad thing? Does it affect people who do not have celiac disease?
Most people feel better without it even if they don't have like bad allergic reactions like celiacs. Best way to find out is to try eating without it for a bunch of weeks and see how it works.

You might be able to find something on Robb Wolf's blog or pubmed or any of the Paleo sites. Shrug.

Quote:
On a different note does anyone believe in colon cleansing and all the crap (no pun intended) for sale on the market? is there any science behind the hype? thanks
Not really.

Best thing you can do for your colon is put healthy stuff in your mouth...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Casey Dupre

Profile:  

Quote:
For what it's worth, I've spoken with a couple of very good GI docs who believe all the colon cleanse stuff is BS.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Travis Earp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Not really.

+1

I'd also reckon that spending that much time on a toilet probably isn't the greatest for your colon either.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Nicholas Dixon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Absolutely. Fiber is the best colon cleanser and it's all natural. Just eat your veggies.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Greg Pieris

Profile:

Quote:
http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...cs/gastro.html

(WFS)
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Sabrina Ramme

Profile:

So Celiac is just one type of gluten intolerance. It is estimated that as much as 30% of the population has some kind of sensitivity to gluten. It can be as dramatic as severe gastrointestinal symptoms, or (as in my case) massive asthma attacks, or as subtle as brain fog and stiff joints. Gluten is in almost all processed food so it might just be a matter of overloading our systems, or other theories say we might not have evolved to digest it. Either way, the only way you can know for sure if it affects you is to cut it out for a couple weeks and then try it and see what happens!

(Sorry if that was too much information-- I'm two weeks away from a Master's degree in nutrition so I tend get excited and overshare)

- S
Old 06-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #8
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I have not yet seen a person who has gone off Gluten for 3 weeks and introduced it back in even in a small dose (like 1 cup of conventional ice-cream, a little bowl of cereal, breaded chicken wings) - got messed up for at least 12-24 hours.

In my case it was even worse. I never had celiac and never had an idea that gluten would bother me, but it does - so I've been gluten free for over 4-5 months now and my digestion is much better, I train without any joint pain (and I've added straight arm gymnastics work & have a very high load of workouts).

My best advice is to cut anything containing Gluten for 3 weeks and then try some bread, pizza etc and see what happens.

By the way - Hagen Dazs ice cream is gluten free (except for Cookies & Cream ones & the like)
Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Justin Emmons

Profile:

Thanks for the information. That was very helpful. I have been trying to go gluten free and paleo for two weeks along with a 19hr daily fast (as rx from the fast 5). I feel like I have been getting good results. I cheat some on the weekend, but overall I have had no issues. All my lifts have continued to PR!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Greg Pieris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
I have not yet seen a person who has gone off Gluten for 3 weeks and introduced it back in even in a small dose (like 1 cup of conventional ice-cream, a little bowl of cereal, breaded chicken wings) - got messed up for at least 12-24 hours.
I know someone with biopsy-confirmed coeliac disease who after completely eliminating grains for 3 years can now have small amounts of gluten daily without any symptoms whatsoever.