CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Further cementing Costco at the top spot on my "Favorite Places to Shop" list is the blessed availability of some extraordinary cheese products there. I like garlic and found a three pack of cheese with the description "Garlic and Fine Herbs Gourmay Cheese". Spelling skills aside it looked particularly good so I snagged the three box pack bearing the brand name "boursin." I was somewhat concerned that they could not spell or remember to capitalize the name of the product but was hopeful that they remained true to the cheese-making art.
Very near the boursin cheese was some crumbled feta cheese and something told me that was a good idea too so I grabbed that as well.

Remembering that I was perilously close to being out of green olives I went over to that section of the store and OMFG...Double Stuffed Jalepeno and Garlic Olives! My gawd could a finer food product exist on this earth? Giggling with anticipation I headed home but not before stopping at the Dollar Store to placate the kids and since it was right next to the liquor store (the state owns all the liquor stores in Washington) I stopped in to get some gin for a drink I learned to make in Bosnia.

HOLY SMOKE. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? Chocolate Latte Kahlua. What in the world were they thinking when they made that? I will have to work hard on not drinking that stuff as if it was Gatorade.

So, get a Triscuit or whatever your cracker of choice is and spoon up a clump of the boursin cheese. Clump up some feta onto your spoon and squash it into the boursin. Jam it into your mouth. After you chew that up a bit and savor the joy of food, fork out one of those stuffed olives and team it up with what's already in your mouth. The bitter olive taste mixing in with the two different cheeses and the texture of the Triscuit is almost too much to bear. But there's more. Have a glass of your favorite wine available and that bitter olive taste will make the wine like nectar.

For dessert some Chocolate Latte Kahlua over ice. You will love me for this I promise. Go now, you will not be disappointed.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Someone is happy to be home :-)

Please elaborate:

"some gin for a drink I learned to make in Bosnia"
Old 04-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Is this paleo/zone friendly? Shouldn't this be in nutrition? ;)

I know where I am stopping on MY way home!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Sounds like a definite cheat to me. One to be relished and savored!

Eugene, I train with Keith Wittenstein in NYC and he talks so favorably about you. Hope to meet you one day in CFland!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
There is a restaurant in Sarajevo called the Hot Wok. It was said to be a Thai restaurant and was recommended as a really good place to eat. What I was after was Thai food and this is what Almedin, one of the interpreters, told Biljana over the phone that we should try.

When we walked in the door we were given a drink in a tumbler that looked like very slightly pink orange juice. It was absolutely delicious and I wanted more. I was told I had to go back outside and come in again. I didn't get it. Stupid American. I was not prepared for humor from a Bosnia in English so it went right over my head. Anyway the drink is orange juice, vodka, gin and Grenadine. I'm still working on the exact portions of each but it was not a strong drink so don't get carried away. Be very cautious on your use of Grenadine...a little goes a long way. Very smooth, incredibly tasty and dangerously sneaky in how it gets the alcohol past your "I don't want to get drunk" sensors.

The decor had a Chinese attempt with the characters they had carved in the metal decorations but they were just shapes, not really characters. The posters on the wall were Japanese and they didn't have Pad Thai. They did have a noodle dish with chicken and seafood that was out of this world and was so good we went back the next day for more.

Sarena...someone speaks highly of me? He must be a great guy. Perhaps we will go to a cert at the same time one day...NY is a bit of a commute from Washington...the left coast Washington anyway. My thanks to Keith for the kind words.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Eugene, i was wondering if you might be going to Valencia?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Joe - is there a restaurant menu item you want me to talk about or is there a cert coming up? No matter the reason Valencia is not on my schedule this time around. Sorry.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Bummer I was referring to the cert.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Yeah, I didn't imagine my food/drink evaluations are worthy of sponsorship. I'm flattered that you are disappointed in my non-attendance. Next time I make my way to Vegas I will be sure to drop you a line.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #10
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Wicked. Looking forward to it. Do you ever sleep? What are you up at 3:30 for?