CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Grant Nichols

Profile:
Oklahoma City Shooting

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=10446069 wfs

Thoughts, comments or concerns? Do you think the Druggist was justified in this shooting?

Grant
Old 05-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Robby Morris

Profile:
Re: Oklahoma City Shooting

I think he was absolutely justified in his actions. Here's a man who knows that you can't put your safety in anyone other hands other than your own. Good for him.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well he was justified in shooting the guy and neutralizing him in the first place. However going back around the counter after the guy was down and then coming back and plugging him 5 times was absolutely not justified.
Yes you have a right to defend your life and your business. He did that. Shooting the guy after he was no longer a threat was murder. Plain and simple. The guy was done, and he basically finished him off. That's not right.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Richard Foote

Profile:

The single shot to the head...right on, good for him.

However, the following five to the abdomen once the assailant was unconcious on the floor may have been over the top. Now, I can't judge his emotional state at the time, given the fact that he was reacting to a robbery. I also cannot say definitively that I wouldn't have done something similar...but I can see how the prosecution is building a case.

My personal opinion is that if you're threatening my life, and I can stop you, you're going to lose.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I agree with Jason, I deal with use of force daily, two key words I go by necessary and reasonable. I believe he is justified in shooting the guy, necessary force. 5 shots in the abdomen and 1 in the head I believe that is UN-reasonable But that is something for a jury of his peers to decide

Last edited by Pete Nadeau; 05-30-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Old 05-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Travis Loest

Profile:

I'm going to have to say he was justified in the first shot, personal opinion is that he wasn't in the others. His mental state has alot to do with the follow up shots though. There is a serious amount of emotional charge and physiological change going on when you shoot someone. There's no way for a civilian to train for that sort of encounter without spending rediculous amounts of money on classes and consistent (and unrealistic for a "normal" person) training and practice. I'm going to make an assumption; the pharmacist had a 6 shot revolver. He shot six times, he hit six times. Interesting statistic.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Denny Boehmer

Profile:

Totally justified start to finish.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

For those of you that say he was justified for the 5 shots to the abdomen. Why? The guy had been shot in the head and was on the ground. He was a complete non-threat.
The pharmacist could've:
A) Held the gun to him and called the cops while keeping him at bay with a loaded gun pointed right at him
B) Possibly tied the guy up since he just got shot in the head and was out of it
C) If he wasn't knocked out at this point he's laying on the ground bleeding, pistol whip him until he's out and then make sure all weapons are gone.

All of those would've been perfectly acceptable outcomes. Shooting the defenseless guy that's no longer threatening your life is not. How is he justified in shooting the guy after he was down and a complete non-threat? That's murder. It wasn't a "Me or him" situation at all at that point. The guy was defenseless and the proper authorities could've been called to handle it since the Pharmicists life was no longer in danger. He was not defending himself at this point.

It's like if you get into a fist-fight with someone and you feel your life is in danger. You knock the guy out cold. Boom, the fight is over and your life is no longer in danger. But you keep hitting the guy and beating him until he's dead even though you see that he's out cold. You beat him until he's dead. That's not self-defense at that point. It's murder.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Travis Loest

Profile:

But what happens if you get into a fist fight and you kill the other guy?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

You mean like while you're both still fighting and you believe your life is in danger?
The key here is your life being in danger. If you're fighting someone with the intent to harm you and the fight is still going strong and you seriously believe this guy may kill you or seriously injure you and you land a blow that kills him then it was in self defense.
If he's out cold and you continue the assault until he's dead then it's murder.
There's a fine line there, but there's no reason to keep beating someone up or to shoot someone till they're dead after the threat is gone.