CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Dave Young

Profile:
Has anyone constructed the definitive list of available and worthy pull up bars on the market. Or, I'll take a dis-jointed list from multiple sources derived from reports on their favorite units. Minimum width is 36". Budget is up to $300.

Thanks for you help.

Dave
Old 01-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
cesare casciani

Profile:  
That's a hell of a budget Dave! Offer half of that to any local welder and you'll have what you're looking for.

This one I built with roughly € 15,00 of material. It's 40" width.

http://www.geocities.com/hmeqit/chinning_station3.html

Breaking it down and mounting it back is a pain in the arse, but keeps the missus happy. that's why I didn't do a 1 piece unit, anyway.

(Message edited by hmeqit on January 10, 2006)
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Can you kip on that?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
cesare casciani

Profile:  
Not really Stanley... The base is only 1m long. I designed it with storability in mind. For 1 thing I went too hard down with storability. I have the space for a much bigger structure, but didn't consider that at the time. My original plan was to store it in a storage room in the house, after I built it I realised I could store it under the car shed outside. There's a fair chance that I'll pass it on to a friend that lives in an appartment, and I'll build a new structure with my new possibilities in mind: 2m long base and only broken down height-wise. Able to kip + less pain in the but putting it up and breaking it down (only 2 bolts). Should only cost me about five euros more than the original.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.torqueathletic.com/produc...=5016&r=-20745

Here's a link to Jeff Martones TAPS or Tactical Athletic Pullup System. It's $425 and thus a bit outside your budget but for a portable system it is really the best.

I take it you specifically want a portable system and not a home depot plumbing pipe wall mounted setup? If so that TAPS system is really nice.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Dave Young

Profile:
Actually, portability wasn't on my list of criteria. Hard-mounted wall units were more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Specifically, this is a request by the husband of the a client of mine that wants to give her a pull-up bar for their home as a birthday present. That's why the welder idea wouldn't work - turn-around time too slow and potentially lacks the polish befitting a b-day gift.

Does any of this help?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AMK85/104-0816721-0210309?v=g lance

If this will be a wall mounted device you need some stand off distance so you can kip properly and this link goes to a product that fits that bill and is within your price point.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
James Falkner

Profile:
Maybe I'm not kipping right, but it seems that you would hit the wall every time with the amazon unit Eugene. If you faced the wall, you'd kick it with your toes as you execute the "up" kip. If you faced away from the wall, you would hit the back of your head on the "up" and "down" part of the kip.

Maybe as I get better at kipping the "amplitude" of my body swing (as viewed from the side) gets less and less?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
cesare casciani

Profile:  
Probably mounting it right above a doorway could solve the problem James.

Can't see what could possibly motivate that price though. Xpensive!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Bob Holman

Profile:
I just ordered a bar from this company:

http://www.ultimatechinningbar.com/

You have to dig around a bit on their site, but they do have permanent mounted units. I bought the ceiling mount one for $99 so that kipping wouldn't be a problem. I haven't received it yet, so I can't recommend.

Bob