CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Frank Pipitone

Profile:
Working Through Soreness!

I posted a few months back on here how I tend to have extreme soreness after certain workouts. No matter how many squats I do, my legs are always incredibly sore.

Following advice from my previous post, I was more conscious of my eating and sleep pre and post workout and it helped.....a little.

This week, we had a heavy squat WOD on Tuesday followed up with a heavy front squat WOD on Thursday. Now, Thursday morning my legs were incredibly sore and I was going to skip the WOD. I am paranoid about getting injured or rhabdo.

Anyway, I decided to go for it and I have to say that today, Friday, my legs feel amazing with no soreness at all! Was this the solution I was looking for all along? Is it always advisable to work through soreness like that?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Working Through Soreness!

It sounds like your soreness is a sign that you are working your *** off--like you should. Over time you may adapt some so that the soreness is not so bad. But if you are working hard and pushing your limits, you will get sore even if you are a very experienced and elite lifter.

I'm curious--what gains have you made in the last few months?

(I'm betting you have seen significant gains).
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
It sounds like your soreness is a sign that you are working your *** off--like you should. Over time you may adapt some so that the soreness is not so bad. But if you are working hard and pushing your limits, you will get sore even if you are a very experienced and elite lifter.

I'm curious--what gains have you made in the last few months?

(I'm betting you have seen significant gains).
Funny you say that! I have been doing crossfit for just over one year. I was pretty stagnant for the first 8 or 9 months, however, over the last 3 months I have hit new PR's consistently and my endurance has increased tremendously.

I usually don't fear the soreness, but sometimes I feel my soreness is extreme.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

What are you doing between workouts? Are you active at all on your rest days?

How are your levels of hydration, sleep, rolling, ice baths?

If you're always incredibly sore, I think your warm up is ineffective, your mobility is lacking, or something is wrong with nutrition/hydration/sleep or rest.

Being stagnant and stationary during your rest days and between workouts hurts. I know the last thing you're going to feel like doing is being active, but jogging a bit or dedicating some leisurely activity to getting your blood flowing on off days will help reduce soreness for your next on day.