CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Nathan Schnur

Profile:
Programming for Bodyweight

Long story short- I decided I need to take a chunk of time off of any weights to try and heal up some injuries.

Lately I have been doing basically a Murph (no vest) or some other similar WOD trying to go 3on -1 off. And I am wondering if doing just a crap ton of pull ups, push ups, squats, sit ups is the best thing, or if I should make some sort of a program with 'strength' work for pull ups, push ups, core.

The whole 'do a ton of everything' seemed to work for herschel Walker
http://sealgrinderpt.com/navy-seal-w...-workout.html/ (WFS except videos-language?)

Any help would really be appreciated Thanks guys.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Quinn Walkley

Profile:
Re: Programming for Bodyweight

Invest into never Gymless by ross enamait. His stuff is always top notch and he has great ideas in this text.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Schnur View Post
Long story short- I decided I need to take a chunk of time off of any weights to try and heal up some injuries.

Lately I have been doing basically a Murph (no vest) or some other similar WOD trying to go 3on -1 off. And I am wondering if doing just a crap ton of pull ups, push ups, squats, sit ups is the best thing, or if I should make some sort of a program with 'strength' work for pull ups, push ups, core.

The whole 'do a ton of everything' seemed to work for herschel Walker
http://sealgrinderpt.com/navy-seal-w...-workout.html/ (WFS except videos-language?)

Any help would really be appreciated Thanks guys.
Mr. Walker is the epitome of a genetic FREAK!

You'll definitely want strength work as this is a strong man's world. It can be done with bodyweight, decrease leverage.

Look into gymnasticbodies.com (WFS) and Coach Sommer's book Building the Gymnastic Body...also highly recommend you pick up Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

If you are trying to heal injuries, even just little nagging ones, is high volume anything a good idea? Body weight strength work can be almost as demanding as barbell work.

Maybe you need a month of 2 on 1 off lower volume? Say just enough not to lose more then 10% of your conditioning. Rest up and come back stronger.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

Brendan-
I think that is probably a good idea for a month. My fear is that it might be a little longer 6-8 weeks before im back on the bar. So I was thinking of some sort of a template to follow for the medium run here.
Just an idea:
day 1: metcon(s)
day2: skills/technique/intervals/ midline
day 3: metcon (s)

Im really just looking for ideas here. No idea what type of metcons they would be
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Adam Molnar

Profile:

Thinking to do the same, found this webpage with programmed BW workouts. You can go back in time by months on the right side.

http://bodywod.blogspot.hu/2012_06_01_archive.html - WFS.

I have them in order in an Excell sheet. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: email FullBodyWeightPlan.xls (44.0 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by Adam Molnar : 10-31-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Herschel Walker was an incredible athlete in his day. He was also full of a lot of BS since he has MPD.

Of course, "I" never have done weights...but perhaps my alternate identity did...and ate meals (to discount his 1 meal a day at less than 1000kcals/day).
Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
If you are trying to heal injuries, even just little nagging ones, is high volume anything a good idea? Body weight strength work can be almost as demanding as barbell work.

Maybe you need a month of 2 on 1 off lower volume? Say just enough not to lose more then 10% of your conditioning. Rest up and come back stronger.

Just something to think about.
I would argue high volume work is ideal for most injuries to get blood flow...of course these need to be very light exercises and carefully chosen so that they aren't causing any pain.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

Hey guys-
Really good stuff!
A) Adam, that site is awesome! I have not yet DL'd the spreadsheet yet, but I am looking forward to getting after some of those.

B) I think both approaches can work: I like the idea of doing 2 days on (metcons, with or w/o weighted vest) then one day of something like working on form for oly and squat, plus a skill and maybe a few intervals on the bike or rower. Rebuild technique from the ground up.

C) My big question is if I should add in some 5x5's or something of that nature of weighted pullups/push ups/ dips/etc to my metcon days or if those should go to the skill days?

I will get on my log and post my past few days metcons later, my numbers are definitely improving.

Thanks for all the input!