CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Mike Derasmo

Profile:
Cheap Barbell for home practice

Im looking to pick up a cheap barbell for home use. It will mainly be used for practicing form for Oly lifts. I will have bumper plates on it.

Im kinda stuck as to where to go from here.

Do i spend alot on a rogue bar? Or do i go to play it again sport and buy a cheapo bar for 40 bucks?

Im sure ill be dropping the bar from time to time, how long do the cheapo's last? Im just not sure if i want to drop 180.00 bucks plus shipping, on something ill only use 3-4 times a week.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Cheap Barbell for home practice

Drop the money on a better bar!! You don't have to get an elite Olympic Weightlifting bar, but if you're going to drop it, there is a better than average chance it will break. I've seen vids of it happening. Also, you run the chance with a cheapo bar that the bumpers won't fit on the sleeves or will get stuck and won't come off!!! The quality is jost not that good with cheapo bars. Plus, a better bar will last you for a pretty long time, like several years, so think of the ROI (return on investment)!! It's very worth it in the long run. The cheapo's are not made to drop and it would be very frustrating to happen in the middle of a workout or WOD!!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Luke Conner

Profile:

I agree, get a better bar. There's another thread on here where someone said how in less than a year they went through four cheap bars. They just can't stand up to the abuse of crossfit. Depending on shipping costs, the Again Faster bar is $200 plus whatever shipping is. Someone at our gym has one and said he likes it.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Quite a few companies now have free shipping with bar/ bumper package deals. Shop around and you can find some great deals out there.

Heres a few:

Rogue has the SoCal econ Package starting at $524
http://www.roguefitness.com/socal-ec...-plate-set.php WFS

Fringesport has great prices, awesome customer service and free shipping

hammerhead fitness has free shipping on bumepr sets also
Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

My fiance got me a cheapie bar earlier this year. It looked like it had barely been used as there were no scratches and it was bright and shiny. Well we bent it the 3rd time we used it! The bar itself bent near the collar part...so then I bought a Rogue bar with the lifetime warranty because I don't want to have this problem again!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Yep, spend the $. I bought a Hampton bar off craigslist, which I thought was a step up from the really cheap ones, and sure enough it is now bent. Not sure if it was from dropping it, but the most abuse it's gotten was being dropped with 200lbs on it from the front rack position with bumper plates onto rubber mats and deadlifted with 350 lbs.

Check shipping - the again faster bar has a great price, but is only $50 cheaper than the Rogue bar once shipping is factored in.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Derasmo View Post
Im looking to pick up a cheap barbell for home use. It will mainly be used for practicing form for Oly lifts. I will have bumper plates on it.

Im kinda stuck as to where to go from here.

Do i spend alot on a rogue bar? Or do i go to play it again sport and buy a cheapo bar for 40 bucks?

Im sure ill be dropping the bar from time to time, how long do the cheapo's last? Im just not sure if i want to drop 180.00 bucks plus shipping, on something ill only use 3-4 times a week.
Mike - we can't say enough good things about the Troy GOB-1200 if you're looking for a reasonably priced snap ring beater bar great for CrossFit. It's a great value and is Chrome Plated which means it will stay looking new.

I would recommend you stay away from any 'cheapo' bar which most likely has pinned collars. You will be disappointed quickly with a bar like that.

The GOB is here... http://hammerheadfitness.com/troy-barbell-gob-1200-bar/ [WFS]

Hope that helps.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Mike Derasmo

Profile:

Thanx alot for the help guys.

Im now looking at the ROgue Beater bar. For 160 its not to bad, and has some great reviews.