CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Samuel Fold

Profile:
More rest days needed for crossfit beginners?

Hey there,

I just started two weeks ago and my body is just barely getting used to the crossfit style of fast intense workouts.

However, just after doing the Crossfit Warmup X3 with 15 reps of each exercise i'm pretty much smoked. Usually the day after i'm feeling sore still and definitely can't do two days in a row.

It is advisable that I just do scaled down WOD's three times a week, so I get a least a days rest in between each, until my body has adjusted to this new crazy intensity of workout?

On the plus side, I find now that i'm excited every time I go to the gym as I know it's going to be short, exciting and toally kick my ***..!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Kevin King

Profile:
Re: More rest days needed for crossfit beginners?

Sam,

Let me just start by saying, "I feel your pain."

This is the second time I started Crossfit. This time I am in worse shape than last and I can feel it every time I have climbed or descended stairs in the past two weeks. It is, however, getting better.

You may need to scale your entire workout, including warm-up. Some folks (like me) warm up differently than the "official warm-up" by practicing form or taking a quick jog. For instance: Fran. I started my warm-up by using a PVC pipe for practice on my thruster form and knocked out some good form push-ups (not very many, mind you.) Then I got into the routine. I scaled the resistance in Fran back to something I could manage (65# thruster, used assist bands on the pull-ups) and completed it on the verge of pukie after 15 minutes. Pretty sad, really. But it'll get better.

You shouldn't do so much and hurt so much that you hate the program. Crossfit is amazing. Your strength gains, weight loss, agility, endurance, balance and how you feel day-to-day will improve very, very quickly. But you've got to stick with it. If you hurt all the time, you probably won't.

That said, I work out sore all the time but not in pain. The workouts smoke me but don't sap the life out of me. Most folks have a similar experience. However, if your legs are so sore that you can't even do a body weight squat, you probably shouldn't attempt Fran. Do the pull-ups only and maybe something else. Scale things to your tolerance. But push yourself.

Only you can really set your tolerance for endurance and strength, but don't be embarrassed to scale down. Pushing too hard can get you hurt or worse, turn you off to Crossfit.

Good luck.

-- Kevin
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Taking days off...well, IMO, I think that if you REALLY need a day off, then take it...
I'd recommend that you do CFWU10x3 and scaled WOD day one, CFWU15x3 and form stuff day two, and get back to it on day three, off day 4...the WU is the bread and butter when you're starting out...
And, as mentioned, don't hesitate to scale...if the WODs are taking more than 20-30mins, consider scaling...some are just long however...like 'Murph'...good luck even getting that in sub40mins...I'm at close to an hour!
Be patient...you'll be doin' the WOD as Rx'd in no time...give it a few months...

Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Scale.

It's better to do high frequency and scale then do one WOD every 2-3 days with more rest days. The higher the frequency, the faster you get better.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I'd also vote for not taking off more rest days than absolutely necessary. If the work volume's too high, then scale.

Especially as a CrossFit beginner, I've found it's a real help to be utterly rigid, not letting myself have an "out" from doing a WOD. CrossFit promotes lifestyle change, and one of the hidden benefits of the 3:1 schedule is (for me at least) needing to keep a daily timeslot for physical activity. If I've got some extra time one day because it happens to be a rest day - bonus.

Maybe once folks have had enough kool-aide, they don't need the schedule to be as inflexible - they're at less danger of wimping out. Not me, not yet at least.

t.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

Consistency before intensity!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Working out while sore is common, even encouraged. Working through pain is not. I hope you know the difference between muscular fatigue and pain due to injury.

When I first started CF, I did a scaled version of the CFWU as my WOD, along with some other exercises. After about 2 months of that I graduated to WODs. I quickly injured my shoulder, necessitating a layoff of about 2 months. Then I moved into scaled WODs, which I've been at for about 8 months. Still scaling, but the scaling is less and less every month.

You'll get there, take it one step at a time. You're on the right path.

Welcome!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin King View Post

That said, I work out sore all the time but not in pain.
And there in lies the secret. Only YOU can judge what is pain and what is sore. Over-training is almost as bad as not training. Not pushing hard enough can not just waste your time but limit your ability to maximize each workout.

It's a thin path and the only way to figure it out is to walk it. I would suggest scaling as the others have, but you can also try to keep it up for another week or two.

Just remember: SORE=STRESS, PAIN=DAMAGE

Don't work out damaged.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lucas View Post
Over-training is almost as bad as not training.
Well, overtraining is chronic and takes many weeks or months to recover from. It's almost impossible to push yourself to this kind of state because you should feel the effects of not enough recovery time for months on end.

Overreaching is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than not training as a 3-4 day layoff.. maybe even a week will fix you up pretty easily and make an insane supercompensation phase.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Well, overtraining is chronic and takes many weeks or months to recover from. It's almost impossible to push yourself to this kind of state because you should feel the effects of not enough recovery time for months on end.
I wholeheartedly agree. For someone with some fitness experience. A novice may reach a moderate degree of over-training much faster, and take nearly as long to recover because a "fitness base" might not be there.

My point is a highly motivated rookie that doesn't have allot of body awareness would be more likely to over-train.

I have run into a few starters like this. They chalk up the pain and fatigue to not being "tough enough" or to their general perception that they are "way out of shape". Good old "More is Better" syndrome.

These folks are rare, but I think we might find more of them gravitating to training regimens like CF.

Lets face it. CF is a serious challenge and attracts a certain mindset.

In my experience, starters with that mindset, seeking out a challenge like CF (because of 300 or otherwise) are already in mental state that puts them at risk for over-training, and ignoring the warning signs.

Simply cautionary.