CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Chris Vaughn

Profile:
CF Games Questions

I love to compete. It's why I train. Until now, I've only competed in Strongman and Powerlifting (and done okay).

I see these promo vids for Crossfit games and... MAN. It makes me want to train like Rocky IV.

Now, I have these questions:

1) Is there anyone here who has done well in the games?
2) If yes, did this person get there with the main page WODs?

This may be a long-term goal of mine. This is starting to become really addicting--energy, being able to move, etc.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: CF Games Questions

1) Rob Orlando used to post here occasionally, but I haven't seen him or any other Games-level competitors post on here in awhile.
2) No, very doubtful. You don't get up to the strength numbers or skillwork abilities of those type of people without doing some pretty specialized programming, which typically includes plenty of strength work and working on individual weaknesses. Check out the CF Journal, there are videos on there somewhere showing what various guys and girls have done for Games prep.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Rich Vanmeerbeek made it to the Games last year. He's been keeping a log on here for years.
A couple others who are maybe close, but haven't been to the Games.

Agreed on part 2.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

....and then there's Jay, who has a very good shot of getting there in the near future based on the silly numbers he's been putting up lately.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

If you're coming from a competitive Strongman and Powerlifting background, you'll find you have ample strength for CF...most likely.

Generalizing here, but what you probably need to brush up on is Gymnastic skills and longer duration WODs...how are you with running a 10k, or doing a workout that lasts 20+ mins?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Chris Vaughn

Profile:

Pretty bad, sadly.

I'm going to be doing a strongman comp in May and then taking a break. I can do a 600+ lb dead lift, for example, but not a sustained handstand, which is embarrassing.

I plan on dropping about 40 pounds while doing a hybrid/strongman program. Once I'm able to do some decent WOD times I'm going to look into the games. I think I can do it maybe next year or the year after. Like with strongman, I've qualified for Nationals a bunch of times but don't want to pull the trigger until I'm confident I can do very well. Spending money on travel and such just to lose is foolish IMHO.

Thank you very much for the answers, folks. I want all the input I can get. I've been reading ravenously on my new CF addiction.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vaughn View Post
Pretty bad, sadly.

I'm going to be doing a strongman comp in May and then taking a break. I can do a 600+ lb dead lift, for example, but not a sustained handstand, which is embarrassing.

I plan on dropping about 40 pounds while doing a hybrid/strongman program. Once I'm able to do some decent WOD times I'm going to look into the games. I think I can do it maybe next year or the year after. Like with strongman, I've qualified for Nationals a bunch of times but don't want to pull the trigger until I'm confident I can do very well. Spending money on travel and such just to lose is foolish IMHO.

Thank you very much for the answers, folks. I want all the input I can get. I've been reading ravenously on my new CF addiction.
It's a good background to come from. Most of the events involve doing lots of work quickly.....just with loads most people can't touch.
Aush was pretty accurate with generalizations of things you'd need to work on, but you should have a good leg up on the strength side of things.
The CF Open WOD's this year would not be very nice to a strongman type athlete, so there maybe some other movements/areas to work on.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
....and then there's Jay, who has a very good shot of getting there in the near future based on the silly numbers he's been putting up lately.
Trying! Not 100% yet, but if I compete with my affiliate team we're basically a shoe in to make it.....I don't think I can pass that up. Just the experience of being there and competing in anything, but also really diminishing their chances too!
My region is down to only top 2, so that makes it a little tougher. I think realistically I could be anywhere from 2nd - 6th, assuming Alexandre Bureau goes to regionals (heard he may not), and keeps up with his crazy performances.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Chris Vaughn

Profile:

Jay, I sent you a PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Chris, you should definitely hit up Scott Paltos from Pump Crossfit. He posts here regularly, has some sick programming that is right in your wheelhouse of being strength/strongman biased, and is currently sitting in top 100 overall in the Open (right along with Jay of course!).