CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #61
Eric Parham

Profile:
Re: aesthetics-bias CrossFit

I highly respect Layne Norton, and used this when I was in my first year of training. Now I completely evolved my training since then, but this could a good starting point for a lot of people in Bodybuilding. Amount of reps and sets do matter when trying to grow. And actually getting enough blood to the muscle to stimulate growth. Yous don't want to just work slow twitch muscle fibers, IF your shooting for growth. A move advanced bodybuilder would need many more variables than this routine.

*****NUMBER ONE RULE= IF YOU DON"T EAT ENOUGH FOR GROWTH>>>YOU WILL NOT MAXIMAZE RESULTS....PERIOD!!!

Sunday: Upper Power
◦55 or 35 for all lifts(55 on bulk cause recovery is better, 35 on cut)
◦Barbell Bench Press
◦Barbell Rows
◦Military Press
◦Barbell Shrugs

Monday: Lower Power
◦55 or 35 for all lifts(55 on bulk cause recovery is better, 35 on cut)
◦Back Squat
◦Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
◦6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, I like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off (I usually do some cardio)

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms
(For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
◦DB Incline Bech 38-12
◦Barbell Close Grip Bench 38-12
◦DB Flat Bench 28-12
◦Preacher Curls 38-12 super setted with
Standing French Press 38-12
◦Push Downs 38-12 super setted with
DB Hammer Curls
◦Cable Crossovers 38-12
◦Machine Curl 38-12 supersetted with
Machine Dips 38-12

Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
◦DB Shoulder Press 38-12 super setted with
DB Front Raise 38-12
◦DB One Arm Row 38-12 super setted with
DB Arnold Press 38-12
◦Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 28-12 super setted with
DB Shrugs 210-15
◦Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 28-12 super setted with
DB Upright Row 210-15
◦T-bar row 28-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)

Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves
(For hypertrophy days I never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
◦Hack Squat 58-12 super setted with
Standing Calf 510-15
◦Leg Extensions 510-15 super setted with
Sitting Leg Curls 510-15 super setted with
Sitting Calf Raise 48-12
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #62
James Rios

Profile:

thats an impressive amount of volume.

you specifically mention not going till failure several times
why do you find that is best
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #63
Michael Travis

Profile:

I know you didn't ask me, and of course Eric can speak for himself, but I find that going to failure often with this kind of volume would be too taxing on the CNS (as well as the body) and hinder recovery and stall gains quicker than it would other wise...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #64
Brandon Gunsolus

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
What "physique division" are you referring to?
The new male physique, or fitness model division as it is called by some, is a new division instituted in NPC, Musclemania, and a lot of other physique sport organizations recently. The focus is on a more marketable athletic physique and their typically is less to no posing, no trunks, ect. The look and how it is judged varies depending on the organizations hosting it though.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #65
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Cool thanks, hadn't heard of it before
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #66
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Parham View Post
You guys might like this....I know I do Women's physqiue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2paIdfSK4
Sure, I liked watching it

But it is kinda silly that CF has generally come to mean "A ridiculous barbell complex performed with lousy form"

Let's face it, the girl is probably genetically gifted and/or chemically enhanced. No doubt she is very strong and very good looking. But I would have called no rep on pretty much everything I saw in that video-not a good example to follow (although the wod was interesting and worth a try sometime).
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #67
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Yates View Post
Sure, I liked watching it

But it is kinda silly that CF has generally come to mean "A ridiculous barbell complex performed with lousy form"
Do you mean like high rep BW squats where you put your hands on your knees during each rep and use them to push yourself back up? Or perhaps Power or full Snatches where there is an obvious press-out at the top? How about full Cleans where you land on one knee and basically do a lunge to stand up? High rep Deadlifts with rounded low backs that turn into nothing more than an RDL?

The entire idea of competitive Crossfit is getting stuff done as heavy as possible and/or as fast as possible. When you are tired or the weight is just a bit too heavy for you - your form is complete a$$ - period. However, if you adhere to the almighty form then guess what? You just don't lift enough or go fast enough - hence...you LOSE.

as for ridiculous barbell complex...well isn't that (the one she does) about as arbitrary as just about any other Crossfit WoD (speaking more mainsite than anything else)?. Give me the logic behind and absolute non-ridiculousness (someone, somewhere, will think its ridiculous) of every Crossfit WoD and I'll retract my statement.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Crossfit. It is oustanding for me for one simple reason/purpose. It has helped me identify what I need to focus on and where I want to go with training myself and others. But lets please not go down the "They do it wrong, we do it right" mentality. As much as we (some in the community) chest pound about "Well, have you really done 'INSERT HERO/GIRL WoD here'?" I could equally ask - "when was the list time you did 20 reps of Bench followed by 20 reps of Back Squat at Bodyweight?". Forget the C&P. Just do that, rest 2mins and repeat. You'll look just as shaky and "questionable" as she did - except I'm guessing - not as hot doing it...

Last edited by Richard Colon : 02-17-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #68
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Do you mean like high rep BW squats where you put your hands on your knees during each rep and use them to push yourself back up? Or perhaps Power or full Snatches where there is an obvious press-out at the top? How about full Cleans where you land on one knee and basically do a lunge to stand up? High rep Deadlifts with rounded low backs that turn into nothing more than an RDL?

The entire idea of competitive Crossfit is getting stuff done as heavy as possible and/or as fast as possible. When you are tired or the weight is just a bit too heavy for you - your form is complete a$$ - period. However, if you adhere to the almighty form then guess what? You just don't lift enough or go fast enough - hence...you LOSE.
People need to separate CrossFit the Sport/Competition and CrossFit the workout program. If I'm competing for money, I will risk my form for better time, but if I'm just doing CrossFit to workout, I want my form to be as good as possible.

What I find ironic is the bodybuilders that knock CrossFit for the ****ty form and yet when I go to the gym and see the bros doing 3/4 squats, deadlifts with a rounded back, bench presses where they come nowhere near their chest, and I could go on.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #69
Michael Petersen

Profile:

She is without a doubt strong. She is without a doubt attractive.

The squats, bench and press are short ROM and would be no rep'd at any CrossFit comp (hopefully any box as well).

A rounded back DL is still ground to lockout. It may not be pretty, but there are no style points in any weightlifting endeavor that I am aware of.

A pressed out snatch...or one where your knees touch shouldnt count as a rep...in CrossFit they usually do...wouldnt be surprised to see standards get more strict as time goes on.

20 reps at bw of full ROM squat, bench and then half body weight clean and strict press (or even push press/jerk) would definetely be a heck of a WOD 1 time through...doing it twice sounds horrible.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #70
Michael Travis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Yates View Post
..."A ridiculous barbell complex....

(although the wod was interesting and worth a try sometime).
which is it? ridiculous or worth a try?