CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Jim Brikman

Profile:
Why bother with the Zone (or any other "name" diet)?

Last year, I wrote an entry in my blog about how I lost 43lbs in 8 months (w/f/s) and I am very interested in hearing your opinions. The details of my weight loss are in the blog entry, but in essence, it all came down to following one simple formula:

Calories in < Calories out

It's nothing new or revolutionary or exciting. But it's based on physics - on the law of conservation of energy - and it works.

So that makes me wonder, why do people bother with any of these "name" diets, like Zone, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, etc? Even if any of these diets work and you lose weight, then according to the laws of conservation of energy, you ate less calories than you burned. In other words, all these diets are doing is "tricking" you into following the one simple formula above. So... why not just skip all the rules, gimmicks and BS in between and just cut to the chase?

Last edited by Jim Brikman : 01-14-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Why bother with the Zone (or any other "name" diet)?

Weight Loss != increased performance

CF = Increased performance

We eat for faster times, higher weight, high jumps, more reps, more energy.

Also, the body is an adaptive system, so basic physics does not work the way you think it with physiology. The body can become more efficient and save calories or it can become willing to expend calories (hence, more energy for fun stuff, like deadlifts, sex and cooking bacon).

Yes, I know it can't violate the laws of thermal dynamics, but rarely do we measure the caloric expenditure that closely to pull out the second law.

Most of the calories a non elite athlete (think phelps, lance, Burgner, Pro athletes) burns is not during activity but maintenance calories, which is highly adaptive. It adapts mostly on what you give it. Also, the hormonal profile is highly dependent on calories, balances of macro nutrients (and sleep) and greatly effects how and where fat is stored and your ability to recover from adaptive training.

So yeah, to some degree, lowering calories works to some extent, but is greatly limited. And be very careful using freshmen level physics to explain a highly adaptive and complex system like a living being. It rarely works out.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 01-14-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Lucinda Hastings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brikman View Post
Last year, I wrote an entry in my blog about how I lost 43lbs in 8 months (w/f/s) and I am very interested in hearing your opinions. The details of my weight loss are in the blog entry, but in essence, it all came down to following one simple formula:

It's nothing new or revolutionary or exciting. But it's based on physics - on the law of conservation of energy - and it works.

So that makes me wonder, why do people bother with any of these "name" diets, like Zone, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, etc? Even if any of these diets work and you lose weight, then according to the laws of conservation of energy, you ate less calories than you burned. In other words, all these diets are doing is "tricking" you into following the one simple formula above. So... why not just skip all the rules, gimmicks and BS in between and just cut to the chase?
The skeptic in me wonders the same thing as well....

The times I've lost fat and gotten very lean is exactly as you described...just following a simple caloric formula. It has worked for me. I think the Zone, etc. is probably helpful for people who don't have clean diets to begin with. Fortunately, I've always eaten pretty clean -- it's just something that comes quite naturally to me.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brikman View Post

It isn't that simple. That is why people can't just cut to the chase.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Let's see, eat fast food all day but make sure that calories in < calories out. Yea even though you will lose weight, you will be the most unhealthy slim person ever, subject to dying of a heart attack due to eating deisel fuel all day. Not to mention it is very hard to limit calories eating like this because there are no nutrients in the food and your body becomes hungry like two hours later.

Eat paleo foods: much easier to limit intake, you will be healthy, and workouts will be great because you are giving your body rocket fuel. Not to mention that this will provide you with steady energy levels throughout the day, as well as better focus.

Try working out after eating whatever you want, I doubt you would do well. Most of the diets out there are gimmicks, but Paleo (and Zone) is for real and it works. How about you give it a try before bashing what works for pretty much everyone on this forum?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Jeremy Taylor

Profile:

It depends on where you're at and where you want to go. For most people, I'd say your formula is spot on. Burn more than you take in and you're going to lose the weight, it's pretty simple. Now if you're training for elite levels of fitness and ever pushing yourself, then specialized dieting comes into play as well as more demanding workout regimens.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Jeremy Taylor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Let's see, eat fast food all day but make sure that calories in < calories out. Yea even though you will lose weight, you will be the most unhealthy slim person ever, subject to dying of a heart attack due to eating deisel fuel all day. Not to mention it is very hard to limit calories eating like this because there are no nutrients in the food and your body becomes hungry like two hours later.

Eat paleo foods: much easier to limit intake, you will be healthy, and workouts will be great because you are giving your body rocket fuel. Not to mention that this will provide you with steady energy levels throughout the day, as well as better focus.

Try working out after eating whatever you want, I doubt you would do well. Most of the diets out there are gimmicks, but Paleo (and Zone) is for real and it works. How about you give it a try before bashing what works for pretty much everyone on this forum?
I don't think he's bashing it, I think he's just saying that you can get tremendous results without Paleo or The Zone and honestly I think he's right. Could he get better results on those diets, possibly but the point is they are not required. Eating sensibly is more than enough for most people. Now granted if you don't know how to even do that (i.e. you think one less item at Taco Bell is eating sensibly) then you'll benefit from any diet program because you're lacking basic fundamentals.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Last time I checked, CF wasn't about weight loss, but performance, right?

Is this the Jenny Craig Forum?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Taylor View Post
I don't think he's bashing it, I think he's just saying that you can get tremendous results without Paleo or The Zone and honestly I think he's right. Could he get better results on those diets, possibly but the point is they are not required. Eating sensibly is more than enough for most people. Now granted if you don't know how to even do that (i.e. you think one less item at Taco Bell is eating sensibly) then you'll benefit from any diet program because you're lacking basic fundamentals.
Yea upon re-reading his post, I realized that, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
Jeremy Taylor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Last time I checked, CF wasn't about weight loss, but performance, right?

Is this the Jenny Craig Forum?
Yes but performance varies greatly between people. It all depends on what is your baseline. Someone who is doing the WOD's as a puppy on BrandX, doesn't require a Paleo diet, they will likely benefit greatly just from basic nutrition fundamentals. I'm not saying Paleo wouldn't be good too but to infere you can't get good results/performance without it or some other "name" diet would be incorrect.