CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:
medicine balls

Looks like the majority of the workouts if not all are wallballs. Im new to crossfit any recommendations on what size ball to get and where to get one at a good price. Thanks for your help. One last thing what is the piece of pvc pipe used for.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:
Re: medicine balls

Do I have to do something different to get a reply to one of my posts. If so please let me know. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Jeff, sometimes the board is slow.

A lot of gyms use the PVC pipe to stretch besides Olympic Lift work. It works fine for the Snatch and Jerk and OHS and poor for the Clean.

I would go with a 20lb ball if you have some, if any strength and are not small. Some might say go with a 14lb, but I would only recommend something smaller than a 20lb if you are small or weaker than an average guy or older.

Rogue, AgainFaster, Christian'sFitnessFactory, Fringesport.

Or you can make your own if you really care to. Basketball or soccer ball and sand.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbmitchell View Post
Do I have to do something different to get a reply to one of my posts. If so please let me know. Thanks for the help guys.
Do you have some sort of expectation for how long you will have to wait for a reply? You didn't even wait a day.

- Mark
Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

Just going by all the people that looked at the post with no response. So just thought I would ask sorry
Old 04-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Actually Mark, this board used to be faster with more posts and members contributing in years past. Not so much anymore.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbmitchell View Post
Looks like the majority of the workouts if not all are wall balls. I'm new to crossfit any recommendations on what size ball to get and where to get one at a good price. Thanks for your help. One last thing what is the piece of PVC pipe used for.
We use wall balls maybe once a week. Not sure where you are looking for you workouts but they certainly are not in every workout.

Depending on your size and strength level buying a #20 ball may be the best way to hold your cost down. The other option is buy a #10 or #14 if your smaller and not very strong the sell it on Craigslist and buy the heavier one. Used CrossFit equipment sells fast at 50 to 75 % of retail. So you can recover a lot of your money.

If you do buy a #20 ball to begin with you will must likely need to build up your capacity before doing full reps in workouts.

You can check around on prices but I will warm you to buy good stuff the first time for reputable companies. Rouge Fitness, Rage Fitness, MDUSA and Again Faster Equipment are all good vendors.

PVC pipes are used as weightless versions of barbells to learn skills. A 10' piece is $3 at Home Depot. Cut off a 52" section and it closely matches the space between the collars on a standard barbell.

Save the longer piece you may need it. They are also used in stretching. About the best $3 you can spend on fitness equipment.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

Ok thank you. I was referring to majoriy of the workouts with a medicine ball is wall balls. Sorry about that. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
Barry Acreman

Profile:

Quote:
PVC pipes are used as weightless versions of barbells to learn skills. A 10' piece is $3 at Home Depot. Cut off a 52" section and it closely matches the space between the collars on a standard barbell.
What diameter of PVC pipe do you guys usually use?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Doesn't really matter. I'd say try to find something that is roughly 28mm but I can't remember what schedule that typically is.