CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Brian Androsian

Profile:
Debating on giving up meat

I know there are some vegetarian people in here, just can't remember names. I've also been reading a bunch on Mike Mahler's site so I know it's possible to do this without eating meat.

Here's the thing. Ever since I upped my calorie intake and started eating much more meat, I've had stomach issues. For awhile, I just thought my body was getting used to the excess in meats, but it's just getting ridiculous. I'm tired of having a slightly sick feeling or worse constantly. I'd rather be healthy, feel better and have my lifts improve slower than feel like crap all the time but have lifts increase quickly. And I know this goes against most of what's preached on here, but I just cannot see how eating truck fulls of steak, ground beef and bacon is actually healthy. Not trying to start a fight cause I know people have had the cholesterol numbers to prove they're healthier and maybe I'd agree if I didn't feel sick, but I just can't see it as being true.

So, is there anybody that has switched from eating a lot of meat and felt better? Does this sound like meat isn't my issue. I'm not saying for sure it is, it just sounds like the most logical explanation.

EDIT: I don't feel like I eat too many calories, so if I did this, the goal would be to hit the same amount of calories. Not interested in a calorie deficit.

DOUBLE EDIT: I wouldn't be giving up fish, it'll take a gun to my head to give up seafood.

Last edited by Brian Androsian; 05-23-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: Debating on giving up meat

Stage 1: You are eating a normal amount of meat and feel fine.

Stage 2: You up your meat intake and feel bad.

So instead of going back to stage 1, you go to stage 73 and become vegetarian?

Why not go back to eating normal amounts of meat...up your calories with other good sources such as health fats and unprocessed carbs and see where your body goes?

What exactly are you eating...can you please define in detail for a days meal plan what "much more meat" is? Thanx.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Justin Brown

Profile:

Based on this (stomache issues) and your other thread on dizzy spells. I would advise you to see a doctor ASAP. There could be an underlying issue that could be causing both of these!

Last edited by Justin Brown; 05-23-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Brian Androsian

Profile:

ha yeah that does make sense.
My meat intake really doesn't compare to what some people are piling down, but it's much more than I used to.

7 am: 4 eggs with about 1/4 cup peas, 2-4 sausages depending on size, 1/2 cup oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter and cinnamon and a couple scoops of homemade sugar free applesauce, shake with coconut milk and some berries. Was adding a scoop of protein powder but dropped that.

Noon: Couple handfuls of spinach with yogurt based dressing, sunflower seeds, whatever leftover meat. Generally a couple chicken breasts or 6-8 ounces ground beef, half a sweet potato.

6 pm: Workout followed by shake of coconut milk, whey, berries and a handful of oats.

7:30 pm: some vegetable like asparagus, spinach or carrots. A mix of carbs and protein like 8 or so ounces of ground beef and 1/4-1/2 cup rice or a few chicken breasts and the other half of a sweet potato.

It varies, but that's the general basis of my diet.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brown View Post
Based on this (stomache issues) and your other thread on dizzy spells. I would advise you to see a doctor ASAP. There could be an underlying issue that could be causing both of these!
Well, yeah. I do need to do that. I'm going to make a couple calls and hopefully I can get in there asap.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I agree with the advice to see a doctor.

I also agree that "less meat" does not need to equal "vegetarian."

Looking at your diet, you're heavily biased in favor of protein. So it could be too much meat, but it could also be not enough of other things. My suggestion would be to go back to your previous diet and, if you need more calories, increase all of your macros in parallel.

Katherine
Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Thanks, Katherine.

I think what happened is I started out with paleo and probably doing paleo wrong and cut out almost all carbs. Felt like crap and just started eating whole foods, including carbs. So the carbs I eat now are much more compared to then, but could still be much under what they should be compared to everything else. Thanks for the advice.

also, just found out I'm still covered under my parents health care until mine kicks in. I always thought I wasn't since I'm married, but I guess it sticks till I'm 26 or something. So, I'll be calling the doctor asap once I find his number.

Thanks for the advice everyone and for convincing me to see a doctor.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

You may experiment with portion sizes, but I'd try a process-of-elimination first to see if you can find a more specific culprit.

I grew up on a dairy farm and somehow developed an allergy to milk a couple of years ago. Took me quite awhile to figure out the problem and I was pretty miserable until I kicked milk.