CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Barry Chait

Profile:
Question Price

I AM STARTING MY AFFILIATE AND HAVING ISSUES WITH GETTIN STARTED. I HAVE A FULL SERVICE HEALTH CLUB AND ADDING CROSSFIT TO MY CLUB. NOW MY GROUP FITNESS IS INCLUDED WITH MY REGULAR MEMBERSHIP (STUPID INDUSTRY GIVING AWAY THE FARM BUT UNFORTUNATELY THAT IS HOW THE INDUSTRY SHAPED OUT.) SO I GAVE AWAY AMONTH FOR PEOPLE TO TRY IT OOUT AND NUMEROUS PEOPLE HAVE DRANK THE KOOL AID AND LIKE THE RESULTS. BUT THEY ARE TRYING TO PLAY LETS MAKE A DEAL. I WANTED $175 monthly for an unlimited membership with there regular gym membership thrown in as a bonus. and 2 sessions for $120 monthly plus gym membership. the majority would like to pay 75-100 a month for 3 sessions a week with membership being included.

I want to stick to unlimited and 2 any suggestions I need to have this program part of my club. I had a planet fatness open last april and need to evolve my club.

Need of some suggestions what has the majority of you done with pricing.
you can even call me 845 341-0480 if you like.

Barry
Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Chris Drewry

Profile:
Re: Price

CHARGE WHAT YOU FEEL YOUR SERVICES THAT YOU OFFER ARE WORTH IN YOUR AREA.
All Im sayin.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Zach Forrest

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Drewry View Post
CHARGE WHAT YOU FEEL YOUR SERVICES THAT YOU OFFER ARE WORTH IN YOUR AREA.
All Im sayin.
That made me smile.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Kim Layton

Profile:

I was all about the unlimited at $XXX at my opening and was reluctant to add the 2 and 3 day a week options - too much to track etc. Well in this mindset we did ok; steady growth, happy clients but a tonne that came and tried and said "too expensive". As sson as we added the 2 and 3 day per week option we blew up.

Sure it is more paperwork and all that but well worth the increase in clientele.

It all goes back to questions like "when should I expand" or "when should I buy more equipment"...when your clients say you should, thats when.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Layton View Post
I was all about the unlimited at $XXX at my opening and was reluctant to add the 2 and 3 day a week options - too much to track etc. Well in this mindset we did ok; steady growth, happy clients but a tonne that came and tried and said "too expensive". As sson as we added the 2 and 3 day per week option we blew up.

Sure it is more paperwork and all that but well worth the increase in clientele.

It all goes back to questions like "when should I expand" or "when should I buy more equipment"...when your clients say you should, thats when.
Ditto that! We offer even one day a week classes which basically comes down to an open gym price but allows a CF person with experience to join a class now and then while using there open gym membership. We have never really had sucess with the unlimited pricing and offer. I think mainly becuase so few could make that many classes in their minds. We sell many two to three day classes. But thus far we have had a steady stream coming in the door. We are now needing to open more class times as we see many needing options and the box is getting full.

good luck
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Stefan Borovina

Profile:

I have to say I am a big fan of the 2-3 time/week option. It is much more affordable and it helps someone get at least a bit of the group training experience who otherwise couldn't.

I have to agree with the above posts... you are in a service industry... listen to your clients and community and provide what they want/need.

Last edited by Stefan Borovina; 02-15-2008 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Gregg Arsenuk

Profile:

Hello all,
What really fires me up regarding the pricing issue is that people dont try to negotiate with their doctors when they go in for "reactive" healthcare but are more than willing to bargain with us for "proactive" or "preventive" healthcare. What is really worth more?? Nor do you see any negotiating going on at 24hr fitness or NYSC where people are more than willing to pay for a truly substandard service and from what I have seen many times, unsafe. I apologize for the ranting. I am opening a crossfit facility in Montclair, NJ and will be affiliated shortly so I am having the same struggle with pricing. It is frustrating that many of us as Crossfit startups cannot command the respect for our service that Globo gym gets through marketing promises, fancy equipment and delivering nothing. Is it a result of there being a lack of a quality alternative for so long that people are just conditioned that this is what fitness is?? Can we as CrossFit affiliates stand by our service and charge accordingly? I always thought "you get what you pay for". In the end markets do determine price and "markets are human" ("The Cluetrain Manifesto). I guess we just have to convince the market over time that we are worth more. Revolution takes time.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Arsenuk View Post
Hello all,
I guess we just have to convince the market over time that we are worth more. Revolution takes time.
I agree with all that you stated - i took this section out of the quote because I feel you will be convincing people that your worth your time and that actually it is cheaper than personal training with far greater results in the short and long run. We will all need to cultivate this philosophy and we are afterall dealing with people.

We are such frail and fickle cratures.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i do hear frequent complaints that $150 or $200 a month is too expensive. It's an absolute thing though. This comes from people that pay $150 for BJJ though...

they see it as that's twice-four times as expensive as gold's. They would also never consider doing personal training. They're cheap skates. They say they'll do it on their own, follow the WOD etc. This person either needs to have help understanding how/why what you offer is different from both, or needs to be allowed to go and ***** up on there own.

Invite someone like this in for a few days perhaps?

A part time option is certainly one answer.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Jason Ackerman

Profile:

I usually tell people the following:

1. I charge $40-$50 an hours, so $100 for the month is pretty reasonable.
2. Go pay $10 a month at Globo Gym and get no results and do your bicep curls, you pay for what you get!

I say come up with your prices and be strict. Don't water it down.

Barry call if you need, I am back in town and have more time now.