CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
Scott Miller

Profile:
Whats up everyone, I am totally new to the whole CrossFit program. I am not going to lie, I heard about it through the 300 movie. I did a little research and realized how hardcore the training really is. The actors in the movie are also huge which sold me. I am a college student and have a lot of time. I get up early everyday and work out with a couple of my good friends. We work out hard but we still feel that we are not working out hard enough. We want something that is going to make us feel like we worked out HARD. Another problem I am having is that I am 6'6 and weigh 195. I have a HUGE problem trying to gain weight, I have gained 5 pounds but I want to get over 200 and more.I want to take advantage of my size. If anyone can give me any guidance on the training, where to start, what to do, and what really works. Also any nutrition tips to help me see the gains. I do take whey protein after each workout and I also eat fairly well. Thanks and look forward to start training and hearing from some advanced Crossfit buffs.

Take Care
Scott Miller
Old 02-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Scott, welcome to CrossFit!
You'll get plenty of help here, just keep asking questions.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Scott Miller

Profile:
Thanks Man, look foward for the times that come.

Take Care
Scott
Old 02-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
David Aguasca

Profile:
scott,

you and i have a similar problem, which is the opposite of the norm on these boards and most of the crossfit community.

most of the people here are trying to LOSE weight...i struggle to gain a few pounds. crossfit will definitely put muscle on you, but you need to match your calorie intake to how much you work out. nutrition is the key to any fitness program (and life, lol) so read the nutrition board (duh!). also, if you haven't gotten starting strength by mark rippetoe, i'd highly recommend that purchase...it'll help you get the most out of the ME (maximum effort) lifting days that are interspersed with the metabolic conditioning (metcon) workouts. those will really help you gain some muscle mass.

welcome to crossfit!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Scott Miller

Profile:
Thanks man, I greatly appreciate the info. I have already started reading the nutrition board.....just wanted to get some info on gaining and not losing. I will have to check out that book and get to work, haha.

Take Care
Scott

"Dont count the days, make the days count."
Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Curtis Black

Profile:
Hey Scott, David,

I'm in the same position here (can't gain weight for the life of me) and it's good to know we're not alone!

I had Starting Strength delivered a few weeks back and am slowly working my way through it. I'm following the program in there now and finding it very promising. I still haven't read the chapter on the clean yet but I've read some of the others several times. Although I'm just beginning (3 weeks now) at this point in time I believe it will be the missing ingredient for me.

Another thing to check out is the WLSTANDARDS.pdf which you should be able to find a link to by doing a search on this board. I'd give it to you here but I don't know it. It's from the same gentleman who brought us Starting Strength and it's a great resource to have for gauging where you are now versus where you need to be.

Welcome!

PS: Feels strange to be welcome newbies when I haven't even introduced myself yet...
:happy:
Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Curtis Black

Profile:
Oh yeah, and check out this thread for more on the book and the ideas behind it. Coach Ripp's comments really opened my eyes...

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/29112.html

It's like he was talking directly to me.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Scott Miller

Profile:
Curtis,

Thanks for the info so far, so what exactly is your routine that you do? and is it showing progress of gaining weight? Any details to help me gain?? Just let me know how yours plan is going and if it is worth looking into.

Take Care
Scott
Old 02-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Scott C. Miller

Profile:
Hey, you stole my name! 30 Muscle-Ups as punishment! ;-)

We won't be confused - I'm 5'7" 155#

Scott
Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Scott Miller

Profile:
haha, yeah man i noticed that, I was confused at first but it is a hell of name, haha. Well maybe you can help I am just now getting into Crossfit training and dont know really to start. Should I just start doing WOD each day, or is there a more set routine that I can do? Let me know man

Take Care
Scott