CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Maggie Bryan

Profile:
Newbie needs to know about carbs after exercise

Hi! I'm brand new to this forum. I have been told I need to eat carbs after exercise to build muscle tissue. But I don't know how much or what kind. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Newbie needs to know about carbs after exercise

You're going to get a lot of different responses to this thread.

Some people say you need a mix of simple carbs and protein within 30 minutes of exercise in order to rush nutrients to the muscles while they're primed for recovery. Others will point out that prime recovery times are 14-15 hours after exercise and that you shouldn't sweat the small stuff.

Others will possibly point out that there is a large growth hormone response after a workout and that waiting for a while after a workout may be a good idea before eating.

I just follow Zone recommendations, with a Zoned smoothie/shake after my workout. I try and get it down within 45 minutes after I work out, but I don't stress if I'm a little late with it.

Check out Enter The Zone, zoneliving.com and any other zone resource there is. You'll find all the information you need out there.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Drink a glass of chocolate milk (2%). Seriously, its the almost perfect combo of carbs, protein, and fat... and it tastes good too ;-)
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

If I were you, I'd simply chomp down a small snack after working out. The snack I prefer is roughly double the size I'd suggest for a lady (I'm assuming you're not a lady in the category of doing 300+lb full range back squats, but if you are, feel free to eat more).

I'd suggest enough fruit to get about 9 grams of carbs (remember to account for fiber), about 7 grams of protein, and about 3 grams of fat. Most likely if you're eating some form of meat, it'll have about 1.5 grams of fat as part of the protein, so just add in maybe five or six almonds or something, and that'll get you up to 3 grams of fat.

FYI, 9 grams of carbs is about half of an apple, or half a cup of grapes, or... you chooose what you like. 7 grams protein is about 1 oz of meat.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Ok I'm French , at work, but I just read The paleo diet for Athletes recently and I could try to summarize the main points that my poor little memory has remember.

There are actually 2 windows after a workout.

The first one is withing 30min after your workout, where a good protein shake will make sure you take advantage of that window. It will help with the "muscle are being eaten for energy" scenario. You could also add some kind of carbs in that Shake to take care of the "muscle have used all their glycogen reserve and need to refill those reserves prior to starting the actual recovery and rebuilding of the muscle" scenario ( excuse me for such an awful sentence ).

So that's the first window.

Which is also shared by the second window. 3 to 4h after your workout, eating a good meal, well balanced, with some fast carbs( rice/pasta/potatoes) that actually higher ure insulin level, which will make more sugar get to the muscle, and thus once again help with the refilling of the glycogen reserve in your muscles. Again you want to refill those reserves ASAP simply due to the fact that until those reserves aren't filled up again ( not entirely but to a good amount), you muscle will keep trying to refill the glycogen reserve instead of starting to rebuild/enhance/tweak/etc... the muscle itself.

It's really a logic thing IMO, workout hard , no more glycogen, re-stock that glycogen, build that muscle accordingly to the new stress he was hit with, rinse and repeat.

I hope I at least make a bit of sense....Sometimes my english is really odd.

Good luck

*edit*

People tend to suggest a shake after workout to take care of the first window of "opportunity" simply because after such workouts people are not generally enclined to eat an actual meal. If you can though, it would be the best.

As said chocolate milk got one of the best "natural" ( ya i know, more or less natural) ratio around.

Last edited by Frederic Giraud; 11-05-2007 at 02:00 PM..
Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Derek summarizes nicely.