CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #391
Matthew Vesey

Profile:
Re: The Outlaw Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Well I made a 200lb snatch shortly after I had a clean PR of 265 (albeit kind of ugly). I've been happy with the results the last couple months to say the least.
Nice PR! Congrats!

The sad thing for me is that my C&J PR is 275# and that was a Powerclean and Push Press because my Full Clean and Jerk are AWFUL. I have been off of Olympic lifts for over a month due to injury but am heading back into the training on Monday. I am excited!
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #392
Lawrence Korchnak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Smith View Post
I dont understand how the Outlaw Method works or how to write a template for it! Help please?
Great question....I'm glad to help.

I would suggest starting here:

http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/faq...dumbass-noobs/

then here:

http://outlawcoach.wordpress.com/about/

Once you get over the Lulz, just get started. Rudy usually puts a up his WOD at night EST (10-11pm). Since the Outlaw World Tour is currently in Europe his workouts have been coming up earlier.

The workload is a bit overwhelming for a while, but it's damn effective. You will get stronger and faster.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #393
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I took some time off as well to just lift for a while. Big mistake actually. On Outlaw I was regularly snatching 95-100kg and had finally got a new PR. I went on a legit oly program that I paid a local coach for and I still haven't been able to snatch 205lb since starting back on Outlaw two weeks ago. Jerk is a mess now as well. Clean is ballin. So close to 300lb I can taste it. Since restarting outlaw though the squats have been easy. This week at 80% was barely a warmup. Oly squat program put extra meat on my legs - only thing I got outta that program. Shoulda stayed on outlaw. Olympic lifts were better and I lost a bunch of conditioning since I didn't do any metcons.

If you're thinking about taking a break... Think again. May not be a good move. One day I'll snatch 225 again.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #394
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Is there no slope to your garage slab? I might've made it allowable to get at least one car in the garage? Just me though.

Otherwise, you are ready to rock! Nice!
Nope, no slope! And ... AND! If I move the gear off the walls, we can still fit both cars in! I have a really small car, and the rack is right in between the two garage doors!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #395
Shaun Gross

Profile:

I had been following Outlaw since March this year, until I changed up the programming a bit (to include some heavy deads and bench) in the last 6 weeks as I had a powerlifting comp I was training for.

Long story short - Outlaw's Olympic lifting programming took me from a very shoddy 70kg snatch to a 95kg snatch, and took me from a 100kg C&J to a 120kg C&J.

Vid here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I86kQFc_RGM

Yes I know my technique leaves a lot to be desired (early arm bend, soft on the snatch catch, etc) but I'm a work in progress and heading in the right direction!

Thanks Rudy!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #396
Josh Deets

Profile:

Congrats on the PR!! My snatch is WAY more ugly than yours, so don't sweat it.

I'm slowly building my garage gym so that I can start following the Way. Keep it up bro!!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #397
Geoff Michael

Profile:

Not sure if you guys knew, But the Outlaw coach has just started his world tour.....

You might be able to ask him some of those questions yourself.

Here's the dates:

http://therxreview.com/outlawcoach-r...es-world-tour/
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #398
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Gross View Post
I had been following Outlaw since March this year, until I changed up the programming a bit (to include some heavy deads and bench) in the last 6 weeks as I had a powerlifting comp I was training for.

Long story short - Outlaw's Olympic lifting programming took me from a very shoddy 70kg snatch to a 95kg snatch, and took me from a 100kg C&J to a 120kg C&J.

Vid here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I86kQFc_RGM

Yes I know my technique leaves a lot to be desired (early arm bend, soft on the snatch catch, etc) but I'm a work in progress and heading in the right direction!

Thanks Rudy!
Nice work man! Next stop for you is 100kg. I'm hoping to hit a 100kg snatch by my 34th birthday (March of next year).
Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #399
John Wallace

Profile:

I am planning on starting the outlaw way this week. Would it be best to just jump right in to the current cycle or go back to the start of the current or an earlier cycle?

If you think it would be best to start from an earlier cycle, could you provide a rough estimate of the start date for that cycle, it would be easier to look up. I have tried looking up the cycles but I didn't have much luck. Nowhere did I see week 1/12, or 3/ 8 type thing.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #400
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace
I am planning on starting the outlaw way this week. Would it be best to just jump right in to the current cycle or go back to the start of the current or an earlier cycle?

If you think it would be best to start from an earlier cycle, could you provide a rough estimate of the start date for that cycle, it would be easier to look up. I have tried looking up the cycles but I didn't have much luck. Nowhere did I see week 1/12, or 3/ 8 type thing.

thanks in advance.
From a few posts up -

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
Just started outlaw yesterday. My question is: is there an adjustment period to this protocol. Here's what I mean. I have not done mych Oly lifting in the past. Yesterday had a combo of power and hang snatch cleans and snatches. Tonight I am supposed to find a 1RM in both.

I know my form sucks right now and luckily I have and experienced coach to help me. My knees and shoulders are aching from yesterday's WOD and tonight's is pretty agressive.

I realize it will take some time to become more efficient in these movements. I guess I'm just looking for others' experiences as to the "adjustment" time before it feels like I'm not destroyed after each session.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Knowing your 1rm numbers is pretty important to Rudy's (and most coachs') training program.
If you're truly wrecked from yesterday, today would be a bad day to do a test of 1rm. If you've recently tested and are confident that you know your true maxes, skip today and go forward working off of those figures.
Make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Maybe a few weeks will be enough adjustment to lifting daily. My legs are rarely fresh nowadays, but not wrecked either. Though I do, almost weekly, tend to omit 'something'...just so somethign else can be squeezed in. Maybe you could omit a metcon, or a strength session here n there, if you are too roasted, but I would not omit the BBG since the oly is where you need (or want) the most improvement. I think your percentage-based oly lifts should be on the easier side, since your technique needs to catch your strength.

The fridays 'power' sn & clns were based on %, like Sean said. If I were you, I would establish these 1RM's on a day he programs the movement (if you dont have a 1RM for that lift). Otherwise, he mostly just says "heaviest possible"...which can be scaled a tad lighter, so technique is perfect.

Dude, I hope you're ready to PR that snatch regularly now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Korchnak View Post
As the resident noob around here, I can speak from recent (and current) memory on this one...

I'm about 6 weeks to the day on Outlawway programming. The first few weeks were pretty tough and they still are. There's never a morning I don't wake up 'creeky' from the previous day's WOD and by the 3rd day 'on', I'm dragging pretty bad. All that being said, I rarely skip any element of Rudy's programming. I came to Outlaw for a 2 reasons primarily: 1) Get Stronger (so I don't skip the strength work) 2) Get better at Oly lifts. Oh and since this is CrossFit, I feel compelled to do the met cons as rx'd....even when I (arguably) should be scaling. All that spells some tough working days and some very necessary rest days...even 6 weeks in.

Like most of the more experience Outlaw followers, I expect sometime soon I'll do a better job picking and choosing what to do and what to leave out/substitute. Or more likely, I'll just keep punishing myself w/ a metric ton of work 5 days a week.

From the very first question on the Outlaw Way FAQs for Dumbass Noobs - (Warning - language)
Quote:
When is a good time to get started on The Outlaw Way?

Today, genius. Unless you’re going to keep asking questions like this. Then never.