CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #371
James Mazzarisi

Profile:
Re: The Outlaw Way

Just started outlaw yesterday. My question is: is there an adjustment period to this protocol. Here's what I mean. I have not done mych Oly lifting in the past. Yesterday had a combo of power and hang snatch cleans and snatches. Tonight I am supposed to find a 1RM in both.

I know my form sucks right now and luckily I have and experienced coach to help me. My knees and shoulders are aching from yesterday's WOD and tonight's is pretty agressive.

I realize it will take some time to become more efficient in these movements. I guess I'm just looking for others' experiences as to the "adjustment" time before it feels like I'm not destroyed after each session.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #372
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Knowing your 1rm numbers is pretty important to Rudy's (and most coachs') training program.
If you're truly wrecked from yesterday, today would be a bad day to do a test of 1rm. If you've recently tested and are confident that you know your true maxes, skip today and go forward working off of those figures.
Make sense?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #373
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Yes makes sense. Havent maxed out on anything really in 7-8 months and have little Oly experience. Anyway Here are some numbers:

5'-10"
174 lbs
BS: 335
FS: 290
DL: 405
Clean n Jerk: 212
Snatch: 154
OHS: 225
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #374
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
Just started outlaw yesterday. My question is: is there an adjustment period to this protocol...I guess I'm just looking for others' experiences as to the "adjustment" time before it feels like I'm not destroyed after each session.
Maybe a few weeks will be enough adjustment to lifting daily. My legs are rarely fresh nowadays, but not wrecked either. Though I do, almost weekly, tend to omit 'something'...just so somethign else can be squeezed in. Maybe you could omit a metcon, or a strength session here n there, if you are too roasted, but I would not omit the BBG since the oly is where you need (or want) the most improvement. I think your percentage-based oly lifts should be on the easier side, since your technique needs to catch your strength.

The fridays 'power' sn & clns were based on %, like Sean said. If I were you, I would establish these 1RM's on a day he programs the movement (if you dont have a 1RM for that lift). Otherwise, he mostly just says "heaviest possible"...which can be scaled a tad lighter, so technique is perfect.

Dude, I hope you're ready to PR that snatch regularly now...
Old 10-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #375
Lawrence Korchnak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
Just started outlaw yesterday. My question is: is there an adjustment period to this protocol. Here's what I mean. I have not done mych Oly lifting in the past. Yesterday had a combo of power and hang snatch cleans and snatches. Tonight I am supposed to find a 1RM in both.

I know my form sucks right now and luckily I have and experienced coach to help me. My knees and shoulders are aching from yesterday's WOD and tonight's is pretty agressive.

I realize it will take some time to become more efficient in these movements. I guess I'm just looking for others' experiences as to the "adjustment" time before it feels like I'm not destroyed after each session.
As the resident noob around here, I can speak from recent (and current) memory on this one...

I'm about 6 weeks to the day on Outlawway programming. The first few weeks were pretty tough and they still are. There's never a morning I don't wake up 'creeky' from the previous day's WOD and by the 3rd day 'on', I'm dragging pretty bad. All that being said, I rarely skip any element of Rudy's programming. I came to Outlaw for a 2 reasons primarily: 1) Get Stronger (so I don't skip the strength work) 2) Get better at Oly lifts. Oh and since this is CrossFit, I feel compelled to do the met cons as rx'd....even when I (arguably) should be scaling. All that spells some tough working days and some very necessary rest days...even 6 weeks in.

Like most of the more experience Outlaw followers, I expect sometime soon I'll do a better job picking and choosing what to do and what to leave out/substitute. Or more likely, I'll just keep punishing myself w/ a metric ton of work 5 days a week.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #376
John C Corona

Profile:

Well Dustin, I hit 205, then hit 210 Snatch today. When I was at 80%, I just knew it was ON! Did 90%x2x1, then 95%x2x1, then BAMN, 205 almost pulled my arms out of the socket it went up so fast. I have video as well...which it said invalid file (twas a .mov file)? I am weighing in at 176 today...lil heavy for me...imma try and figure out how to post this vid.

Thanks for the push Dustin and Matthew.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #377
John C Corona

Profile:

210lb snatch (10LB pr) (WFS): http://youtu.be/wH571a1Q9rA
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #378
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Well Dustin, I hit 205, then hit 210 Snatch today. When I was at 80%, I just knew it was ON! Did 90%x2x1, then 95%x2x1, then BAMN, 205 almost pulled my arms out of the socket it went up so fast. I have video as well...which it said invalid file (twas a .mov file)? I am weighing in at 176 today...lil heavy for me...imma try and figure out how to post this vid.

Solid work! That's what a 20lbs jump from a few weeks ago? Insane. 15lbs from two wheels...get it.

I suppose it's my turn now
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #379
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Quote:

John that is AWESOME! Super pumped for you man. I was yelling at my computer screen (In enjoyment). Love seeing people hit PR's (Especially when they are HUGE jumps from only a few weeks prior)!
Keep it up!

-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #380
Lawrence Korchnak

Profile:

Quote:
210lb snatch (10LB pr) (WFS): http://youtu.be/wH571a1Q9rA
Wow! Congrats on the PR. You made that look real easy...