CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #351
Lawrence Korchnak

Profile:
Re: The Outlaw Way

Okay, I realize I'm not about to set the CrossFit world on fire but I'm pretty psyched. Started this Crossfit thing in January, began The Way a month ago.

The first time I 'snatched' anything (insert joke here) was in February. When I started Outlaw, my max was 135#. Today I got 165# with ease. I know, Kendrick Farris isn't worried...but it's still a PR.

At the start of Outlaw (a month ago) my c/j max was 185#. I got 215# locked out today. It's not 'official' but damn it felt good (and so close to standing it up).

It took me until June (6 months of trying) to get a muscle up. Today finished out Amanda in 9:45 ,stringing together 4s and 5s---not a world beater, but it feels good to know that the hard work is paying off.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #352
John C Corona

Profile:

Nice Lawrence. I know that off days exist, but when the increases are steady, it is killer. The oly lifts can have big jumps in short time cause the technique can be learned, and once we're able to repeat it, our strength will make the weights feel light. I like how during the week, we work on all the different variations to the lifts, and then saturday, get to try and break records.

Oh yeah, I 'almost' forgot to mention, I hit 200# snatch for a 3lb PR on saturday morning. But I do not doubt that Dustin can have a 10lb PR jump and hit 205. When the technique is there, the weights feel light.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #353
Lawrence Korchnak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Nice Lawrence. I know that off days exist, but when the increases are steady, it is killer. The oly lifts can have big jumps in short time cause the technique can be learned, and once we're able to repeat it, our strength will make the weights feel light. I like how during the week, we work on all the different variations to the lifts, and then saturday, get to try and break records.

Oh yeah, I 'almost' forgot to mention, I hit 200# snatch for a 3lb PR on saturday morning. But I do not doubt that Dustin can have a 10lb PR jump and hit 205. When the technique is there, the weights feel light.
Wow, way to go on the PR! I can't even imagine snatching my BW let alone 30-40lbs more than I weigh....impressive stuff, man.

I realize I'm seeing mostly noob gains, but whether it's technique (most likely) or strength gains (a little), I'm happy to be getting better.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #354
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

John, Keep the PR's coming! Great to hear. Dustin has his work cut out for him.

Not to take anything away from your PR today but, I have had food poisoning this entire weekend, crushed some deadlifts and decided to try for a 1rm after my sets. Pulled 540# today which finally got me my 3x body weight Deadlift. I was not expecting a PR one bit. It seems most of my PR's happen by accident or when I am tired or sick.
-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #355
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post

Dang I better get it in gear. Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
John, Keep the PR's coming! Great to hear. Dustin has his work cut out for him.

Not to take anything away from your PR today but, I have had food poisoning this entire weekend, crushed some deadlifts and decided to try for a 1rm after my sets. Pulled 540# today which finally got me my 3x body weight Deadlift. I was not expecting a PR one bit. It seems most of my PR's happen by accident or when I am tired or sick.
-Matt
Yes I do, I missed saturday's workout and couldn't make it in this morning so I hustled up to campus on my lunch break and had about 20 mins to hit a 1RM snatch. Missed 185, not good, got 190, which was good. Had 195 over me, started to stand up but wasn't balanced and lost it. Failed the next two attempts at 195. By the way solid job on the DL, seems like I haven't done a heavy DL in a long time.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #356
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

5 rounds for time:

25 Jumping Squats @ 45# DEMO VIDEO
20 KB Push Press @ 24/16kg (2 KBs/2 arms)
15 Pullups

So I scaled back the KB push press to about 1/2 the weight, and holy heck did I start sucking wind that last round. Stayed consistent, but man that last round hit me HARD!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #357
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
.....I have had food poisoning this entire weekend, crushed some deadlifts and decided to try for a 1rm after my sets. Pulled 540# today which finally got me my 3x body weight Deadlift. I was not expecting a PR one bit. It seems most of my PR's happen by accident or when I am tired or sick.
-Matt
Mhan, 540 is sik heavy. Thats almost rounding up to 600!

And Nicholas, I changed that metcon a tad, but still did the KB Push Presses...and wow, unbroken everytime got rough.

Last edited by John C Corona; 10-04-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #358
Lawrence Korchnak

Profile:

Anyone else psyched about doing 30 muscle ups!!??

Old 10-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #359
Shaun Gross

Profile:

So I'm doing a powerlifting meet in 4 weeks time. I'll be sweet for Back Squats and good enough for bench, but I want to get more deadlift work in. Seeing as we haven't been doing any heavy deadlifts since the end of the last cycle I thought I needed to add some in.

While heavy back squats, good mornings, kettlebell work, etc are good strength builders for deadlifts, but I still want to practice the movement a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to substitute out of the typical Outlaw schedule and what days to do the deadlift work on? From what I've seen the Outlaw stuff has been set out like this lately..

Day 1) Snatch + snatch assistance
Day 2) Clean + clean assistance + back squat
Day 3) S + C&J from blocks + posterior chain
Day 4) PS + PC&J
Day 5) S & C&J to max

I'm thinking I could add in some lower percentage (70-80%) reps on Day 1 to get the movement in? Note - I responded really well to the deadlift programming last cycle, resulting in a 15kg PR for 230kg.

Any discussion would be appreciated!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #360
Lawrence Korchnak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Gross View Post
So I'm doing a powerlifting meet in 4 weeks time. I'll be sweet for Back Squats and good enough for bench, but I want to get more deadlift work in. Seeing as we haven't been doing any heavy deadlifts since the end of the last cycle I thought I needed to add some in.

While heavy back squats, good mornings, kettlebell work, etc are good strength builders for deadlifts, but I still want to practice the movement a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to substitute out of the typical Outlaw schedule and what days to do the deadlift work on? From what I've seen the Outlaw stuff has been set out like this lately..

Day 1) Snatch + snatch assistance
Day 2) Clean + clean assistance + back squat
Day 3) S + C&J from blocks + posterior chain
Day 4) PS + PC&J
Day 5) S & C&J to max

I'm thinking I could add in some lower percentage (70-80%) reps on Day 1 to get the movement in? Note - I responded really well to the deadlift programming last cycle, resulting in a 15kg PR for 230kg.

Any discussion would be appreciated!
I'm probably the worst qualified to respond (only following The Way for about 6 weeks). But I think you're on the right track. I would probably try to work in the DLs on any day I'm not doing a 'strength' or 'max' session (Day1 or 4). For simplicity sake (and I'm too lazy to figure it out), I would maybe try working off the same rep scheme and % as the back/front squat session for the week.

I'd be interested in what some more experienced guys would say as well...