CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Justin Brown

Profile:
Re: Paleo Macros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
This. As Robb would say, just eat the damn food and not worry so much about macro breakdown at the start. Now if you aren't getting the performance/composition results you are seeking then you need to look at things. Maybe increase carbs or protein, etc.
hahaha ok ok. I'll quit worrying about it. I just asked because this week my energy level hasn't been great. But I think it could be caused by not enough sleep. (been a rough sleeping week)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Your lack of energy is probably due to lack of calories rather than a deficit of any single macro.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Justin Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Your lack of energy is probably due to lack of calories rather than a deficit of any single macro.
How many calories would you estimate I need?!?! I'm currently between 2800 and 3000....
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brown View Post
How many calories would you estimate I need?!?! I'm currently between 2800 and 3000....
How long have you been doing paleo or low carbs? If it hasn't been more than two weeks or so it may be your body getting use to the change in fuel source. It takes approximately two weeks for your body to begin running on ketones as opposed to using carbs for energy. That two weeks i find myself grumpy, groggy, and tired.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

At your height and weight, if you're training intensely and somewhat active during the rest of the day (i.e. not completely sedentary with a desk job) you may well need 3500-4000 per day to fuel your activity and recovery, particularly if you're trying to get stronger. 3000 is not a lot by any means.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
Justin Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
At your height and weight, if you're training intensely and somewhat active during the rest of the day (i.e. not completely sedentary with a desk job) you may well need 3500-4000 per day to fuel your activity and recovery, particularly if you're trying to get stronger. 3000 is not a lot by any means.

I think I am training pretty intensely, and like I mentioned earlier, I'm starting more endurance/triathlon training soon. I am guessing it will be Crossfit Endurance.

However during the day I have a desk job that doesn't allow me to move around very much. I try to get up and move around every hour or 2 though.

I am pretty paranoid about eating too much because I also having a desire to lose fat. I know that it will come eventually, but I don't want to add fat from eating too much.

But I think I might try to slowly increase calories to see what affect it has. I definitely know I need more calories when I start Crossfit Endurance. The past month I have been around 2800. Maybe I'll start at 3k, then see how I feel. And if I still feel like I need more, bump up to 3200, etc. I will mention is that I do feel like I have improved performance wide. When I first started Crossfit a few months ago I could barely string kipping pull ups. Tuesday I had no problem stringing stringing 5-10 together!

The 2800 number came from the FitDay activities calculation.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Justin Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
How long have you been doing paleo or low carbs? If it hasn't been more than two weeks or so it may be your body getting use to the change in fuel source. It takes approximately two weeks for your body to begin running on ketones as opposed to using carbs for energy. That two weeks i find myself grumpy, groggy, and tired.
You could be right. I did paleo for 2 weeks, off 2 weeks (due to travel), and now been doing it again for 3-4 weeks.

This week I might just be tired from sleeping poorly the first few days.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brown View Post
You could be right. I did paleo for 2 weeks, off 2 weeks (due to travel), and now been doing it again for 3-4 weeks.

This week I might just be tired from sleeping poorly the first few days.
110g of carbs wouldn't put you in ketosis, you'd need to go below 30-50g or so. Ketosis and caloric restriction can screw up your sleep, but I don't know much more about that particular area, could be just stress.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I think Justin's original question also asked if there's anything as "too much fat" on a Paleo diet. The answer is: maybe, but you're not there.

The inuit used to consume roughly 80% of their calories from fat and about 20% from protein, very little carbs. This doesn't mean this is the optimal human diet by any means, but it shows you can eat really high fat and OK. Kurt Harris (who has a very popular and informative blog) ate Very Low Carb for (I think) 2 years, keeping fat above 70% of his daily caloric total with no issue. Peter Atia (sp?) is a who I found about recently who is also doing Very Low Carb with apparenly good results; he does endurance events too!!

However, this might not be the only way. Of the above mentioned examples, Kurt Harris now eats tubers and white rice and has stated his carb intake is now about 30% or more? Don't remember the exact figure. Last I saw him write he had been eating like this for several months and had not gained a single pound of fat, despite coming off of the 2 years of VLC.

Seeing as fat is already the highest of all your macros and carbs the lowest... I'd eat a bit more carbs if you feel you need more calories.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
Justin Brown

Profile:

Now that I have switched to Paleo I feel like I am eating more than I was on the SAD diet. That is why I thought 2800 calories was enough for me. Would excess carbs cover up some of the caloric deficit? I know when I was triathlon training last year I was eating more(calorie count unknown) and sleeping like a baby.

Your right I'm not in ketosis, but in Paleo I should be utilizing the fat in my diet/body for energy even if I'm not in ketosis... Correct? Or does my body only get used to utilizing fat as the main energy source when I go into ketosis.