CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-26-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
Ben Travers

Profile:  
I've been running and doing basic lifting for years, but these olympic lifts are completely new to me. Although there's lots of discussion on how to work your way up to HSPUs, I don't see near as much on how to master these lifts for guys who have never done them before. Anyone have any advice?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Do a search, there have been heaps of topics on O lifting. Also there were several journals on the clean, snatch progressions etc. A quick check of the FAQ should give you the info you need.

Do a search for posts by Dan John, Mike Burgener
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Ben,

Take a look at this link At Crossfit DC we were lucky enough to have Dan John come in and give us a O-lift seminar. It is a good place to start.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/18615.html
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
Get the CF Journals that talk about the lifts. The recent article on the scoop and pull was invaluable to me.

Practice, practice, practice and use light weight when you are starting until you get your form down.

I was forced to use almost no weight when I first started due to a back injury. I began using a broomstick, then weighted PVC pipe. I now feel that I have quite good form, but will continue to reevaluate as I increase in weight.

Take some videos of yourself and post them to the digital coaching section of the site for feedback.

Search for the Bergener warm up and make it part of your CF warm up.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
Josh Everett

Profile:
There is a teaching progression on my site that may be helpfull although i think that i just have the power versions of the lifts detailed. I need to update and include progressing to the full lifts.
http://www.athletics.ucr.edu/strengt...ing/tprog.html
Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Get Jim Schmitz's video on the olympic lifts.

I am currently working with Jim Schmitz's manual and DVD "Olympic Style Weightlifting for the Beginner and Intermediate Weightlifter", ordered from http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1203 .
The quality of the information on the DVD is outstanding, very good coaching, almost feels like a series of clinics.

What I really like very much is the structured approach to the lifts - you have several "programs" (1-7, with 1-3 being the "learning the movements" programs, moving from easy movements to the harder stuff), and the movements are explained/shown along the programs by Jim. That way, you build up your skills and strength very systematically. Jim also explains a lot of details about lifting in general.

You can read another review of this tape at http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/ol_schmitzvid.html .

See also the discussion about oly lifting videos at http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/20232.html.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 04-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
paul arestan

Profile:

This website has videos for most lifts and good explainations
http://www.aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm
Old 04-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
Ben Travers

Profile:  
Really appreciate the info, guys. I know a lot of these questions have been asked before and I appreciate your patience.

So here's one more: while I'm learning the form for the O-lifts, which I expect to take me anywhere from 3 weeks to a couple momths, what should I sub when the WOD RX's cleans and snatches? My guess is Deadlifts and front squats.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Ben;

I just came back from my first O-lifting session with a local(25 minute drive)Olympic lifting club. Coach has been lifting/coaching for 25 plus years, lifted with me, we took turns. Started on front squats, moved to Overhead squats, some other basic moves, bar only, then 5, 10 Kg plates. May I suggest you seek out a local team/coach, take some basic intructions. Form is everything and really helps to have correction, other lifters doing it right. I'm sure you can search on line for O-clubs in the area. BTW, asked how much the dues are, he laughed, said the trains MWF, whether the team shows or not. Great guy.
My two cents.

Jay
Old 04-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Ben, more O-lift practice never hurts, so do the WOD with a broom-stick and focus on form. Consistency before intensity ;) Every once in a while, throw in another basic lift to get the met-con that is intended, but for the first while, learn the movements until they are second nature.

Good luck and have fun!