CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
Alright, I know what the difference is between the two. However, I was just curious as to what functional benefits one has over the other. I could see where the power versions actually make you exert more force on the bar, I would think this probably comes into play particularly with throwing. Am I also correct that the squat variations are more demanding in terms of flexibility? Also, when learned, the squat variations allow for a heavier load. Don't want to answer my own question, but just wanted to see that for overall sport applicability, which might have more utility. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Greg,
There are more qualified people here to answer your exact question than me, I wanted to contribute my observation on this note.

With CF, there isn't a need to do the exercise that might have "more" utility, while neglecting another similar one with "less" overall utility (and benefits in different areas). I used to be stuck in the idea of "the best" exercise, when I was in the paradigm of repeating the same exercise weekly or even 2-3 times per week.

With CF and a wholly different paradigm, one can work both types into their workouts and get the benefits of both without causing the overuse injuries common to either one! Sounds like the best of both "variations" to me...
Old 03-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

If you do squat cleans well and do no power cleans, you can do power cleans well.

If you can do power cleans well and do no squat cleans, you've might have even made it harder for yourself to learn to squat clean by drilling incorrect technique.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Gregory,
I'm a fitness coach not an O-coach I'll give you my perspective.

"what the difference is between the two...what functional benefits one has over the other".

Power version emphasizes a very strong extension - Great for jumping. Little else to worry about technique wise but create elevation on the bar. The hang position is a very similar to the 'athletic position'.

Full sq versions have a 'third pull', you pull yourself under the elevated bar this requires great speed and agility - plus you have to accept force then re-direct it, extremely functional!

The metabolic demands of a full sq-cl makes a hpc seem like a reverse curl, no comparison.

Hope this helps,
Jerry
Old 03-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
All good comments. Thanks for the replies, gents.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
John Messano

Profile:
so to reap the metabolic benefits of the squat clean, one must improve, or least have confidence in, one's front squat.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Jerry Hill

Profile:
John,
Yes, I think you have to have confidence in your front squat, but more importantly learn this skill of the 3rd pull - the quick transition from full extension to pulling yourself underneath the bar. You have to be lightening quick in order to pull this off successfully. IMO the strength to stand with the weight is probably more important in elite level lifters. I would say that speed is the most important attribute in the beginning.

It all transfers...snatch balance, heaving snatch balance, jerks, full sq cleans and full sq snatches. Gotta a weight vest? Load it up, use a light KB or BB and practice your full sq cleans or snatches...performing these exercises is as much about moving your body as it is about moving the weight.
Again, just my observations as a fitness coach not an O-coach.

Hope this helps,
Jerry
Old 03-19-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Dan Catlin

Profile:  
Fairly new to O-Lifting and brand new to Crossfit. Read about the good coaching videos (I think it was in CFJ in an '03 back issue) from World Class Coaching llc, but their website seems defunct. Is there another source or a better resource out there? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Russ-
Right on! We buggared ourselves by training far too many power movements. It has been a challenge to get good squat technique back.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
Dan Colson

Profile:
Hey Dan, here is how you contact World Class Coaching to order the videos
(800) 891-4487
(405) 321-8060

WorldClass Coaching LLC
PO Box 5141
Norman Oklahoma

I personally think Coach Burgeners top down approach to O-lifts is more effective but the dvd's at WCC will give you countless training exercisies.