CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #21
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Training for Power without Olympic Lifts

Coming from a thread on PM about training sprinters, the point was made that NOTHING equals the amount of force generated per time as sprinting. Barry Ross and http://www.BearPowered.com? w/f safe. This same thread was concerning an article on DragonDoor about DLing improving sprint speed.

Bert, your time and lifts are very impressive. Damn, man.

Without Oly lifts.

Pistols, particulary pistol jumps or weighted pistols or weighted pistol jumps. Sled/Tractor pulls, plyometric series ( box jumps for 20 feet or depth jump, jump up to box ).

Weighted runs if you can't rig up a sled. Get a backup and fill it up similar to a ruck march.

One foot/leg hops, running jumps. Jumping lunges or duckwalks.

Med ball Overhead behind the back throws, sprint to catch up to it. Any of the Olympic throwing events ( hammer, discus, shot ).
Old 04-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #22
S.S.

Profile:

Yes, I was waiting for someone to mention sprinting. For power, the best thing to do are distances 100m or less, with the occasional set of 200's. There's a reason the NFL combine uses the 40yd as a measure of speed/power.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #23
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Jump squats with weight.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Olympic lifts are certainly explosive, and they have obviously the greatest ROM, but if you're looking for practical/functional lifts, most of the powerlifts and hybrids (PP, DB snatch, clean variations, etc) will give explosive power for very functional ROMs.

If you want explosive power in your powerlifts, Westside's dynamic effort (DE) days are what develops that. Stuff like speed benching, adding chains, adding bands, speed pulls, box squats...you name it.

If you mix those "hybrid" lifts (not sure what to call them) plus speed powerlifting, you should be good to go. Remember the ideal way to powerlift is to have a slow descending motion and explosive ascending.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #25
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Brams View Post
Here's a seminar in which Simmons explains why he thinks the o-lifts aren't good for sports and why box squats are better(also posted on this forum):

http://macthrowvideo2.com/2006NTCALS.wmv (wfs)

"In my opinion, Olymic lifts [full, not hang] are not good for sports. Why? Because you have a controlled first pull... The first pull is controlled so you don't distort the second pull... But show me a sport where you have a slow first step; I'll show you a kid sitting on the sidelines."
hmm... a controlled first pull never happens in sport, but holding a ridiculous weight on your back, sitting down into a squat onto a box and standing back up DOES?! which sport is that?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
David Boyle

Profile:

This has more than likely been said....can't go wrong w/ kettlebell snatch's, swings, and jerks.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #27
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yes, I was waiting for someone to mention sprinting. For power, the best thing to do are distances 100m or less, with the occasional set of 200's. There's a reason the NFL combine uses the 40yd as a measure of speed/power.
yes, but it isn't necessarily a good reason. the validity of the 40-yard dash as a predictive measure of success in the nfl has been absolutely eviscerated. (for example, jerry rice, terrell owens, michael irvin and emmitt smith were "slow," while dozens of wash-outs turned in blazing times in the 40.)

in fact -- and this actually strengthens your argument, by the way -- it has been said many times that the first 10 yards are the most important for most positions. and that's all about power.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #28
Sam Ser

Profile:

how about tire flips? high box jumps? burpee pull-ups with a high bar?

love the suggestion of throwing a med ball behind yourself and sprinting to get it. awesome combination.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #29
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
yes, but it isn't necessarily a good reason. the validity of the 40-yard dash as a predictive measure of success in the nfl has been absolutely eviscerated. (for example, jerry rice, terrell owens, michael irvin and emmitt smith were "slow," while dozens of wash-outs turned in blazing times in the 40.)

in fact -- and this actually strengthens your argument, by the way -- it has been said many times that the first 10 yards are the most important for most positions. and that's all about power.
The validity of the NFL combine in general to predict success in the NFL has been questioned lately.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #30
S.S.

Profile:

I didn't say it was a measure of predictive success. I said it was a measure of speed/power. It's kind of hard to debate that one.