CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-03-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
Timothy C Dixon

Profile:
Well I have been at this for a little over a month now. I have to say it is fun and painful. Since I switched from powerlifting I was not use to the high reps and lactate burn.

Since I have never trained the Olympic lifts I do not have good form and was not ready for their explosive nature. Started out fine then last week we had the Clean and Jerk to a max weight. That was pretty ugly for me. I have since found the Burgener warmup and started doing it before every workout. Twice through with a broom stick and twice through with just a 45 lb. bar. I am feeling better about the movement now but still need a lot more practice. Is there anything else out there like the Burgener warmup that can help? Also is there anyone in the Chesapeake, VA area that knows the lifts that can coach my son and I on occasion till we get the form right? I have read that it can take years to get this down but I know I need to be somewhere near correct so I do not form some bad habits that need correcting later. I would rather get it right in the beginning.

Oh as a side note, one of my initial concerns was about maintaining my strength while doing crossfit. I started yesterday with some flat bench just to see where I stood and I was pleasantly surprised. I felt like I left something on the bench. I did 4 sets of 5.

185 for 5
225 for 5
275 for 5
285 for 5

And like I said I felt like the 285 for 5 left me some room to go up. Probably could have hit 290/295 for 5. My best previously since I started back a year ago was 310 for 2. Only other thing that has been noticed is a size increase/decrease so far. My waist is smaller since I have dropped 2 notches in my belt so far and my wife and son have commented repeatedly that my arms, shoulders and back look larger. And I have finally dropped about 4 lbs. This was real weird for me. I went three weeks with no weight loss and have now dropped 4 lbs. in about 10 days. I am going to try to phase in the Zone diet over this month. It is hard when you have a wife and three kids to change your diet. Either everyone has to or you eat differently. Hopefully I can get everyone to eat that way some and make it easier/better for all. I have to say I am impressed and pleasantly surprised so far.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Timothy,

I would recommend getting a DVD, that is not substitute for in person coaching but that will help.

Also read here:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/18615.html

When Coach Dan John came around in Janurary to Crossfit DC for an O-lift seminar I took some notes that might help.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Timothy C Dixon

Profile:
Thanks,

Nice thread, thanks for sharing the info. Reading it I definitely do not squat right. Time to relearn squatting. I currently squat like a powerlifter. Goblet squats here I come. Are your feet shoulder width apart or wider to accomodate you upper body width? Any guidelines here? I have one of those short and thick physiques. I will add some of the stuff from your thread to the burgener warmup. You mention DVD's. Do you recommend any? I understand there is more than one style to do the lifts from your thread. Is there some king of guideline like which one is better for what body type or is it time to experiment to find the right one for me?

Thanks again. Any more seminars in the DC area? That is only about 3 hours for me. I could make a day of it if I am not too tired to stay awake on the way home.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Coach John recommended this little exercise to find the width of your stance for snatching (so I assume it works for squatting also). Jump in the air 3 times and land, that will be approximately your width.

I would recommend printing that out and go through it as a remedial technique day. The seminar we went through is almost exactly like his DVD "From the Ground Up!" which can be found here.
http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/store/...d&productId=15

A very good DVD for beginners (such as myself). As for other DVD's I would look at this thread for some suggestions:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/20232.html

Not sure about more seminars (they will be coming, I just don't know when.) I would keep my eyes on the board as Tom Brose would post it here as well as send it out to the Crossfit DC crew.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Tony Young

Profile:
Timothy,
Take advantage of the Digital Coaching available here . Upload a short vid of yourself and get many-on-one coaching.

All seriousness aside, there are some fantastic resources here for you.